This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pneumatic Fuel Injection in a Coupled Two-Stroke Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a modeling and simulation of the pneumatic injection process of a fuel mixture and exhaust gases in two-cylinder two-stroke SI engine. The fuel is injected to the small chamber between two cylinders which is connected with combustion chambers of both cylinders by duct and gas flow is controlled by a valve. The pneumatic injection system enables the reduction mostly of the hydrocarbons by controlling of the valve opening and fuelling phase. The paper presents the mathematical zero-dimensional model of the fuel evaporation in the mixing chamber and 1-dimensional model of the unsteady multi-phase charge between the cylinders. The mathematical model takes into account also the thermodynamic processes taking place in the cylinders. The paper performs the engine parameters for different engine configurations and calibrations obtained from simulation. This is the initial development step of such engine, which was designed and recently made and will be tested by the author.
CitationMitianiec, W., "Pneumatic Fuel Injection in a Coupled Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0060, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0060.
- Duret P. Venturi S. “The IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Automotive Two-Stroke Combustion Process” A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future?, International Seminar 29-30 11 1993 Rueil-Malmaison 2-7108-0654-1
- Landfarher K. Plohberger d. Alten H. Mikulic A. “Thermodynamic Analysis and Optimization of Two-Stroke Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 890415 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1989
- Leighton S.R. et al “The Orbital Combustion Process for Future Small Two-Stroke Engines” A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future?, International Seminar 29-30 11 1993 Rueil-Malmaison 2-7108-0654-1
- Mitianiec W. “ Fuel Injection in Two-Stroke Engines of Small Power ” Polish Academy of Science Cracow 1999
- Mitianiec W. “Direct Injection of Fuel Mixture in a Spark Ignition Two-Stroke Engine” SAE 2002-01-0830 , SAE 2002 World Congress Detroit March 2002
- Mitianiec W. “Fundamentals of controlling of rich mixture injection system in SI two-stroke engine” Conference Materials AUTOPROGRES-KONMOT 2002 2 Industrial Institute of Motorization Pasym May 2002
- Mitianiec W. “Aspects of Mixture Injection in SI Two-Stroke Engine” Development of Design of Internal Combustion Engines and Quality of Fuels to Meet Future Level PAN Cracow 2001
- Nuti M. Pardini R. Caponi D. “FAST Injection System: PIAGGIO Solution for ULEV 2T SI Engines” SAE 970362 , SAE International Congress & Exposition Detroit 1997
- Marek W. Mitianiec W. “Reduction of exhaust gas emission in a two-stroke engine with pneumatic fuel injection” SAE 2002-01-21682181 - Automotive Transport Technology Congress Paris July 2002
- Heywood J.B. “ Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals ” McGraw Hill 1988
- Amsden A.A. “KIVA-3V Release 2, Improvements to KIVA-3V” La-13608-MS Report Los Alamos 1999
- Spalding D.B. “GENTRA User Guide” CHAM London 1997
- Mitianiec W. “ Mathematical models of physical processes in combustion engines of small power ” Ossolineum, Wroclaw, Warsaw, Cracow 1993
- Clift R. Grace J.R. Weber M.E. Bubbles, “ Drops and Particles ” Academic Press New York 1978
- Durret P. Lavy J. Venturi S. “SCIP Simplified Direct Injection for Low Emissions Small Two-Stroke Engines” SAE 1999-01-3289 SETC Madison 1999
- Diwakar R. “Liquid and Vapor Fuel Distributions from an Air-Assisted Injector - An Experimental and Computational Study” SAE Paper 920422 , SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1992