This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Small DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Dimethyl Ether
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 09, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation has been carried out to evaluate the combustion and emission characteristics of dimethyl ether(DME) using a small direct-injection diesel engine. The fraction of the fuel leakage from the fuel pump plunger pinion to the supplied fuel is determined by the fuel injection experiment under engine motored conditions. The effects of engine configuration and operation parameters on engine performance, regulated and unregulated exhaust emissions are investigated. The unregulated pollutants of formaldehyde, methyl formate and formic acid from a DME fueled engine are measured by gas chromatography and FT-IR analyzers. The test results show that the performance and regulated exhaust emission characteristics of DME are superior when compared to the original diesel engine. The formaldehyde is the principal component of unregulated pollutants. The behaviors of formaldehyde, methyl formate and formic acid emissions to engine design parameters and operation conditions are clarified. The experimental results demonstrate that the DME fueled engine should have an appropriate nozzle opening pressure and advanced angle of fuel injection. Retarded opening of the exhaust valve is found to result in a decrease in oxides of nitrogen emission.
CitationZhang, Y., Yu, J., Mo, C., and Zhou, S., "A Study on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Small DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Dimethyl Ether," SAE Technical Paper 2008-32-0025, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-32-0025.
- Zhang, Y. S. and Reader, G.. T. A Study on DME- the New Clean Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engines, Journal of Chinese IC Engine Engineering, Vol. 22, n1, pp. 17-22.
- Goto, Shinichi; Oguma, Mitsuharu; Suzuki, Shinichi. Research and development of GVW 8-ton type DME vehicle. Journal of the Japan Institute of Energy, v 84, n 4, April, 2005, p 325-330.
- Sorenson, S. C., Glensvig, M., Abata. D. L. Dimethyl Ether in Diesel Fuel Injection Systems, SAE paper 981159.
- Goto Shinichi, Oguma Mitsuharu. HEvaluation of Medium Duty DME Truck Performances -Field Test Results and PM CharacteristicsH. SAE paper 2007-01-0032.
- Poulopoulos S.G., Samaras D.P., Philippopoulos C.J.. Regulated and unregulated emissions from an internal combustion engine operating on ethanol-containing fuels. Atmospheric Environment 35 (2001): 4399 - 4406
- Tang, Shida; Frank, Brian P.H; Lanni, Thomas; et al. Unregulated emissions from a heavy-duty diesel engine with various fuels and emission control systems. Environmental Science and Technology, v 41, n 14, Jul 15, 2007, p 5037-5043.
- Durbin, Thomas D.; Miller, J. WayneH; Younglove, Theodore; et al. Effects of fuel ethanol content and volatility on regulated and unregulated exhaust emissions for the latest technology gasoline vehicles. Environmental Science and Technology, v 41, n 11, Jun 1, 2007, p 4059-4064.
- Okamoto, Robert A; Kado, Norman Y.; Kuzmicky, Paul A.; et al.Unregulated emissions from compressed natural gas (CNG) transit buses configured with and without oxidation catalyst. Environmental Science and Technology, v 40, n 1, Jan 1, 2006, p 332-341.
- Oguma Mitsuharu, Shiotani Hitoshi and Goto Shinichi. Measurement of Trace Levels of Harmful Substances Emitted from a DME DI Diesel Engine. SAE paper 2005-01-2202.
- Zhang, Y. S., Xu, J. X., Xu, B. et al. Research on High-Pressure Fuel Pump of Common Rail Fuel System. Journal of Chinese IC Engine Engineering, Vol. 26, n1, p. 1-5.
- Liu Irene, W.Cant Noel, H.Bromly John, et al. Formate species in the low-temperature oxidation, Chemo sphere 42 (2001) 583-589.
- Chun-lan Mo, Yu-sheng Zhang, Yu Shi, et al. Experimental and Numerical Study on Emission in an HCCI Engine Operated with Neat Dimethyl Ether. SAE paper 2007-01-1888.Inclusion of this section is mandatory.