This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
STRATEGIES FOR AUTOMOBILE GEAR MATERIAL SELECTION
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2008 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: Fifth International SAE India Mobility Conference on Emerging Automotive Technologies Global and Indian Perspective
Material selection is based on Process such as forging, die-casting, machining, welding and injection moulding and application as type of load for Knife Edges and Pivots, to minimize Thermal Distortion, for Safe Pressure Vessels, Stiff, High Damping Materials, etc.
In order for gears to achieve their intended performance, durability and reliability, the selection of a suitable gear material is very important. High load capacity requires a tough, hard material that is difficult to machine; whereas high precision favors materials that are easy to machine and therefore have lower strength and hardness ratings. Gears are made of variety of materials depending on the requirement of the machine. They are made of plastic, steel, wood, cast iron, aluminum, brass, powdered metal, magnetic alloys and many others. The gear designer and user face a myriad of choices. The final selection should be based upon an understanding of material properties and application requirements.
This paper commences with a general overview of the methodologies of proper gear material selection to improve performance with optimize cost (including of design & process), weight and noise. We have materials such as SAE8620, 20MnCr5, 16MnCr5, Nylon, Aluminium, etc. used on Automobile gears. We have process such as Hot & cold forging, rolling, etc. This paper will also focus on uses of Nylon gears on Automobile as Speedo-gears and now moving towards the transmission gear by controlling the backlash. It also has strategy of gear material cost control.
|Magazine Issue||SAE Vehicle Electrification 2012-06-26|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Carbon and Density on Single Tooth Bending Strength a Bevel Gear Investigation|
|Technical Paper||Steel Quality Requirements for Heavy Duty Off-Highway Gearing|
CitationShastri, D., Ramamurthy, S., and Parab, P., "STRATEGIES FOR AUTOMOBILE GEAR MATERIAL SELECTION," SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0055, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-28-0055.
- AE-15 Gear Design: Manufacturing and Inspection manual
- Automotive Handbook BOSCH 3rd
- Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology
- CiNii - Investigation about the strength of plastic gear
- Machinable steel
- Plastics Gearing Selection and Application Adams Clifford E.
- Gear Materials, Properties, and Manufacture By Davis Joseph R.
- Advances in High Temperature Resistant Plastics for Use in Motors and Gears (Technical Insights) Frost & Sullivan Research Service 3 Jun 2005
- Gear Engineering Merritt H.E.
- EVOLUTION OF GEAR QUALITY IN HELICAL PM GEARS DURING PROCESSING Sigl Lorenz S. Rau Günter Zingale Pierluigi Bengtsson Sven Caudebec Didier
- Divinol oil specification
- Systematic Analysis Of Gear Failure Albau Lester E.