This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lean, Light and Quiet: Advances in Automotive Energy Efficiency through Biomimetic Design
Published October 20, 2008 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Convergence 2008
Nature has been designing self-propelled vehicles (animals and plants) for the last 600 million years and has arrived at a variety of designs that are highly energy efficient, elegant in construction and quiet in operation. Biomimicry is the process of utilizing designs and processes found in nature to inspire advances in man-made systems. New technologies have emerged that enable a biomimetic approach to the design not only of automobile bodies but also automotive sub-systems and components. This paper highlights several examples of biomimetic design that could improve the performance of today's automobiles.
CitationFiske, P., Harman, J., and Shekar, K., "Lean, Light and Quiet: Advances in Automotive Energy Efficiency through Biomimetic Design," SAE Technical Paper 2008-21-0028, 2008.
- Benyus J. M. 1997 Biomimicry
- Alexander R. M. 2003 Principles of Animal Locomotion Princeton Princeton University Press
- Liebe R. L. 2007 Flow Phenomena in Nature Volume 1: A Challenge to Engineering Design WIT Press
- Yao N. Epstein A. Akey A. “Crystal growth via spiral motion in abalone shell nacre,” Journal of Materials Research 21 8 1939 46 2006
- Mallette V. 1999 The Dimpled Golf Ball Inwit Publications http://www.inwit.com/inwit/writings/dimpledgolfball.html
- Choi J. Jeon W-P Choi H. 2006 Mechanism of drag reduction by dimples on a sphere Phys. Fluids 18
- Koeltzsch K. Dinkelacker A. Grundmann R. 2002 Flow over convergent and divergent wall riblets Experiments in Fluids 33 2 346 350
- Miklosovic D. S. Murray M. M. Howie L. E. Fish F. E. 2004 Leading edge tubercles delay stall on humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) flippers Physics of Fluids 16 5 L39 L42
- Collins S. 2007 Dimpled Aerodynamic Surfaces, Racecar Engineering 17 12 http://www.racecar-engineering.com/allarticles/166403/dimpled-aerodynamic-surfaces.html
- Kobayashi K. 2005 JFS Bio-mimicry Interview Series: No.6, Technologies Learned from Living Things: Concepts and Examples - Front Line Reports “Shinkansen Technology Learned from an Owl?” -” http://www.iapanfs.org/en/newsletter/200503-2.html
- Sharfman W. 2006 Mercedes and the boxfish The Scientist 20 9 17 18
- The Museum of Modern Art 2008 Design and the Elastic Mind, Exhibition Catalog 190
- http://www.gmeurope.info/social_media newsroom/ archives/373-From-Automotive-Lightweight-Design-to-Modern-Art.html
- Belko J. 2008 Novel fan design offers energy savings to refrigeration market International Appliance Manufacturing 2008 30 35
- Krisher T 2008 Automakers obsess over reducing wind noise Associated Press June 19 2008