This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Top Land Crevice and Piston Deflection Effects on Combustion in a High Speed Rotary Valve Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Bishop Rotary Valve (BRV) has the opportunity for greater breathing capacity than conventional poppet valve engines. However the combustion chamber shape is different from conventional engine with no opportunity for a central spark plug. This paper reports the development of a combustion analysis and design model using KIVA-3V code to locate the ignition centers and to perform sensitivity analysis to several design variables. Central to the use of the model was the tuning of the laminar Arrhenius model constants to match the experimental pressure data over the speed range 13000-20000 rpm. Piston ring crevices lands and valve crevices is shown to be an important development area and connecting rod piston stretch has also been accommodated in the modeling. For the proposed comparison, a conventional 4 valve per cylinder poppet valve engine of nearly equal IMEP has been simulated with GT-POWER. The effects of crevices and piston assembly elasticity are shown to be more important in the rotary valve engine.
CitationWatson, H., Boretti, A., Chow, P., and Wallis, T., "Top Land Crevice and Piston Deflection Effects on Combustion in a High Speed Rotary Valve Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-3005, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-3005.
- Wallis, T. “The Bishop Rotary Valve” Auto technology Magazine by FISITA special 2007 Motor sport Technology
- Amsden A. A. Ramshaw J. D. O'Rourke P. J. Dukowicz J. K. “KIVA: A Computer Program for Two- and Three-Dimensional Fluid Flows with Chemical Reactions and Fuel Sprays,” Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-10245-MS 1985
- Amsden A. A. O'Rourke P. J. Butler T. D. “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-11560-MS May 1989
- Amsden A. A. “KIVA-3: A KIVA Program with Block-Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries,” Los Alamos National Laboratory report LA-12503-MS March 1993
- Chow, P. H. P. Watson, H. C. Wallis, T. “Combustion in a high-speed rotary valve spark-ignition engine” Proceedings of the I MECH E Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 221 8 2007 971 990
- Horrocks, G. “A numerical study of a rotary valve internal combustion engine” Faculty of Engineering, Sydney University of Technology Sydney 2001
- Morel T. Wahiduzzaman S. Sheard S. “Comparison of Measured and Predicted Combustion Characteristics of a Four Valve S.I. Engine” SAE P. 930613