This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HPC-LES for the Prediction of Unsteady Aerodynamic Forces on a Vehicle in a Gusty Cross-flow Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this study is to develop numerical models for the analysis of unsteady vehicle aerodynamics and vehicle motion in gusty crosswind conditions. Several numerical models of transient crosswind gust are proposed and validated on a simplified 2D rectangle, moving at the constant speed, then entering the crosswind region. It is shown that one of the methods called ‘convective crosswind method’ is a promising candidate to accurately describe the dynamics of flow in crosswind. The model is applied to a formula car, and the unsteady aerodynamics acting during the sudden crosswind condition is investigated.
CitationTsubokura, M., Nakashima, T., Ikenaga, T., Onishi, K. et al., "HPC-LES for the Prediction of Unsteady Aerodynamic Forces on a Vehicle in a Gusty Cross-flow Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-3001, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-3001.
- Cooper, K. R. Watkins, S. “The Unsteady Wind Environment of Road Vehicles, Part One: A Review of the On-road Turbulent Wind Environment” SAE Technical Paper Series 2007-01-1236 2007
- Watkins, S. Cooper, K. R. “The Unsteady Wind Environment of Road Vehicles, Part Two: Effects on Vehicle Development and Simulation of Turbulence” SAE Technical Paper Series 2007-01-1237 2007
- Carlino, G. Cardano, D. Cogotti, A. “A New Technique to Measure the Aerodynamic Response of Passenger Cars by a Continuous Flow Yawing” SAE Technical Paper Series 2007-01-0902 2007
- Macklin, A. R. Garry, K. P. Howell, J. P. “Comparing Static and Dynamic Testing Techniques for the Crosswind Sensitivity of Road Vehicles SAE Technical Paper Series 960674 1996
- Dominy, R. G. Ryan, A. “An Improved Wind Tunnel Configuration for the Investigation of Aerodynamic Cross Wind Gust Response” SAE Technical Paper Series 1999-01-0808 1999
- Okumura, K. Kuriyama, T. “Transient Aerodynamic Simulation in Crosswind and Passing an Automobile” SAE Technical Paper Series 970404 1997
- Guilmineau, E. Chometon, F. “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Unsteady Separated Flow behind an Oscillating Car Model” SAE Technical Paper Series 2008-01-0738 2008
- Tsubokura, M. Kitoh, K. Oshima, N. Nakashima, T. Zhang, H. Onishi, K. Kobayashi, T. “Large Eddy Simulation of Unsteady Flow around a Formula Car on Earth Simulator”, SAE 2007 Trans. J. of Passenger Cars –Mechanical Systems, 2007-01-0106 2007
- Smagorinsky, J. “General Circulation Experiments with the Primitive Equations, I. The Basic Experiment” Monthly Weather Rev. 91 3 99 164 1963
- “Frontier Simulation Software for Industrial Science (FSIS)” http://www.ciss.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/fsis/en/index.html
- Revolutionary Simulation Software (RSS) http://www.ciss.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/rss21/en/index.html
- “New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization” http://www.nedo.go.jp/english/index.html