This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cost Effective Sustainable Fuels for Performance Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 02, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ethanol, as a fuel, has many favourable attributes when considering it for use in general everyday motoring as well as high performance race applications. Its status as a sustainable fuel when sourced from waste or by-product biomass, combined with good combustion, thermal and anti-knock properties, along with a tendency to reduce overall CO2 emissions has prompted this investigation into the advantages of petrol-ethanol blends compared to conventional motorsport fuels for use in race vehicles.
This investigation compares three petrol-ethanol blends with three other fuels common to motorsports. Back-to-back testing was carried out on a single engine sourced from the New Zealand V8s National Championship touring car series, fitted with both a carburettor and EFI fuelling systems. Fuel performance was evaluated on cost, consumption, performance, and emissions.
CitationDwyer, K., "Cost Effective Sustainable Fuels for Performance Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2954, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2954.
- Barber, A., Pellow, G., and de Aragao Pereira, M. The Sustainability of Brazilian Sugarcane Bio-ethanol, A Literature Review, EECA (2008)
- Taniguchi, S., Yoshida, K., and Tsukasaki Y. (2007). Feasibility Study of Ethanol Applications to A Direct Injection Gasoline Engine, SAE Paper, 2007-01-2037.
- Wyszynski, L. P. and Stone, C. R. (2002). The Volumetric Efficiency of Direct and Port Injection Gasoline Engines with Different Fuels, SAE Technical Paper, 2002-01-0839
- Sinor, J. E and Bailey, B. K. (1993). Current and Potential Future Performance of Ethanol Fuels, SAE Technical Paper, 930376
- Nakata, K., Utsumi, S., Ota, A., Kawatake, K., Kawai, T., and Tsunooka, T. (2006). The Effect of Ethanol Fuel on a Spark Ignition Engine, SAE Technical Paper, 2006-01-3380.
- Kovarik, B (2008). Kettering Charles E. and the (1994, 1999). Discovery of Tetraethyl Lead In the Context of Technological Alternatives, SAE Fuels & Lubricants Conference (1994).
- Bell, A. G. (1998). Four-Stroke Performance Tuning, ISBN, 1 84425 314 7.