This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Alternative Electrical Power Distribution Methods for Future Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Power Systems Conference
Increasingly complex and challenging mission requirements for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) may in the future place demands on the vehicle electrical system. Direct current and high-frequency alternating current have been proposed as alternatives to conventional AC approaches in manned aircraft which may contribute to meeting these requirements. The paper reviews the advantages and disadvantages a number of power distribution options across a range of metrics likely to be of interest to UAV designers and operators including factors such as weight, fault management and electrical losses. Important technical challenges in the application of these technologies are identified.
CitationElders, I., Norman, P., Booth, C., Galloway, S. et al., "A Review of Alternative Electrical Power Distribution Methods for Future Unmanned Aerial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2925, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2925.
- Degarmo M., Nelson G. M., “Propsective Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Operations in the Future National Airspace System,” 4th Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Forum, Chicago, September 2004.
- Committee on Materials, Structures and Aeronautics for Advanced Uninhabited Air Vehicles, “Uninhabited Air Vehicles: Enabling Science for Military Systems,” National Academy Press, Publication NMAB-495, 2000.
- Andrade L., Tenning C., “Design of the Boeing 777 Electric System,” 1992 IEEE National Aerospace and Electronics Conference, pp. 1281 - 1290.
- Pallet E. H. J., Aircraft Electrical Systems, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, 1997.
- Steigerwald R. L., Ludwig G. W., Kollman R., “Investigation of Power Distribution Architectures for Distributed Avionics Loads,” NASA Technical Reports Server, Document ID: 19860004616, 1986.
- Hanania J. I., “A study of some features of ac and dc electric power systems for a space station,” NASA Technical Reports Server, Document ID: 19860004616, 1986.
- Emadi A., Ehsani M., “Aircraft power systems: technology, state of the art and future trends,” IEEE AES Systems Magazine, pp. 28-32, January 2000.
- Chang J., Wang A., “New VF power system architecture and evaluation for future aircraft,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 527 - 539, April 2006.
- Khursid J., Bing-rong H., “Military robots - a glimpse from today and tomorrow”, 8th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, Kunming, China, December 2004, pp 771 - 777.
- Freiberg B., “Unmanned combat air vehicle system demonstration program update”, 1st Technical Conference and Workshop on Unmanned Aerospace Vehicles, Systems, Technologies and Operations, Portsmouth, VA, May 2002.
- Anderson E.H., Bales G.L., “Application of smart material-hydraulic actuators”, SPIE Conference on Industrial and Commercial Applications on Smart Structure Technologies, San Diego, March 2003, pp. 73 - 84.
- Hoffman A. C., Hansen I. G., Beach R. F., Plencner R. M., Dengler R. P., Jefferies K. S., Frye R. J., “Advanced secondary power system for transport aircraft,” NASA Technical Reports Server, Document ID: 19850020632, 1985.
- Hansen I. G., “Status of 20kHz space station power distribution technology,” NASA Technical Reports Server, Document ID: 1988000645, 1988.
- Cutts S. J. “A collaborative approach to the more electric aircraft,” IEE international conference on power electronics, machines and drives (PEMD), Bath, June 2002, pp. 223 - 228.
- Faleiro L. F., “Trends towards a more electrical aircraft,” Liebherr-Aerospace. [Online]. Available: http://www.poa-project.com/53.asp
- Williams B. W., Power electronics: devices, drivers, applications, and passive components. [Online]. Available: http://www.eee.strath.ac.uk/∼bwwilliams
- Vaidya J., Gregory E., “High speed induction generator for applications in aircraft power systems,” SAE Transactions, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 1830 - 1836, 2004.
- Newman R., “The more electric engine concept,” SAE Transactions, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 1656 - 1661, 2004.
- Fisher F. D., “The application of power electronics to airborne radar systems,” IEE Colloquium on Power Electronics for Demanding Applications, 1999, London, pp. 5/1 - 5/13.
- Norman P. J., Galloway S. J., Burt G. M., Trainer D. R., Hirst M., “Transient analysis of the more-electric engine electrical power distribution network,” Power Electronics Machines and Drives, 2nd-4th April 2008, York, pp. 681 - 685.
- Lyshevski S. E., “Electromechanical flight actuators for advanced flight vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 35, no.2, pp. 511 - 518, April 1999.
- Weimer J. A., “The role of electric machines and drives in the more electric aircraft,” IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, June 2003, pp. 11 - 15.
- “Power Optimised Aircraft,”; [Online]. Available at: http://www.poa-project.com/
- Long S. A., Trainer D. R., Chivite J., Cross A. M., Forsythe A. J., Smith S., “Ultra-compact intelligent electrical networks,” 2nd SAES DTC Technical Conference, 2007.
- Hodge C., Mattick D., “The electric warship II,” Trans IMarE, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 127 - 144, 1997.
- Baran M.E. and Barajan N.R., “Overcurrent Protection on Voltage-Source-Converter-Based Multiterminal DC Distribution Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 406 - 412, January 2007.
- Berizzi A., Silvestri A., Zaninelli D., Massucco S., “Short-circuit current calculations for DC systems,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 990-997, Sept/Oct 1996.
- Krstic S., Wellner E. L., Bendre A. R., Semenov B., “Circuit Breaker Technologies for Advanced Ship Power Systems”, Electric Ship Technology Symposium, May 2007, pp. 201-208.
- Cotton I., Nelms A., Husband M., “Higher voltage aircraft power systems,” IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol 23, no. 2, February 2008, pp 25-32.
- Karady G. G., Sirkis M.D., Liu L, “Investigation of corona initiation voltage at reduced pressures”, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 30, no. 1, January 1994, pp144-150.
- Brockschmidt A., “Corona in switching power supplies,” Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 1997, pp. 31 - 34.
- Elanseralathan K., Thomas M. J., Nagabhushana G. R., “Breakdown of solid insulating materials under high frequency high voltage stress,” 6th International Conference on Properties and Applications on Dielectric Materials, Xi’an, China, June 2000, pp. 999 - 1001.
- Khachen W., Laghari J. R., “Polypropylene for high voltage high frequency airborne applications”, IEEE International Symposium on Electrical Insulation, Toronto, June 1990, pp. 80 - 83.
- Youssef M. Z., Jain P. K., “A review and performance evaluation of control techniques in resonant converters,” 30th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2004, pp. 215 - 221.
- MacMinn, S. R.SemberJ. W., “Control of a switched-reluctance aircraft engine starter-generator over a very wide speed range,” 24th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference (IECEC-89), 1989, pp. 631 - 638.
- Mellor P. H., Burrow S. G., Sawata T., Holme M., “A wide speed range permanent magnet generator for future embedded aircraft generation systems,” IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC ’03), 2003, pp. 1308 - 1313.
- Norman P. J., Galloway S. J., Burt G. M., Hill J. E., Trainer D. R., “Evaluation of the dynamic interactions between aircraft gas turbine engine and electrical system,” Accepted for publication in Proc. The 4th International Conference on Power Electronics Machines and Drives 2008 (PEMD 2008), 2nd-4th April 2008, York, pp. 671 - 675.
- Roberts D., “Electrical safety and arc flash in the industrial and commercial environment,” IEEE/IAS Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Technical Conference, Edmonton, May 2007, pp. 1 - 27.
- Bleetman A., Steyn R., Lee C., “Introduction of the Taser into British policing. Implications for UK emergency departments: an overview of electronic weaponry”, Emergency Medicine Journal, vol. 21, 2004, pp. 136 - 140.
- Weirich J., Hohnloser S., Antoni H., “Factors determining the susceptibility of the isolated guinea pig heart to ventricular fibrillation induced by sinusoidal alternating current at frequencies from 1 to 1000Hz”, Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 79, 1983, pp. 604 - 616.
- Luo F., Chen J., Lin X., Kang Y., Duan S., “A novel solid state fault current limiter for DC power distribution network”, IEEE Applied Power electronics Conference and Exposition, February 2008, pp1284-1289.