This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ethanol as a Diesel Base Fuel - Potential in HCCI Mode
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work studies the potential of ethanol-Biodiesel-Diesel fuel blends in both conventional Diesel and HCCI combustion modes.
First, ethanol based fuels were tested on a modern commercial multi-cylinder DI diesel engine. The aim of this phase was to assess how such fuels affect Diesel engine performances and emissions. These results indicate that low levels of PM and NOx emissions, with a contained fuel consumption penalty and with an acceptable noise level, are achievable when the Diesel-ethanol blends are used in combination with an optimized combustion control.
Moreover, experiments with ethanol based blends were performed using a single cylinder engine, running under both early injection HCCI and Diesel combustion modes. Compared to a conventional fuel, these blends allow increasing the HCCI operating range and also lead to higher maximum power output in conventional Diesel combustion.
CitationPidol, L., Lecointe, B., Pesant, L., and Jeuland, N., "Ethanol as a Diesel Base Fuel - Potential in HCCI Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2506, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2506.
- Pidol L., Lecointe B., Jeuland N., Montagne X. “Ethanol as a Diesel base fuel: an engine evaluation and optimization”, SIA 2008, Diesel Engines International Conference, Rouen
- Pesant L., Forti L., Jeuland N. “Effect of Fuel Characteristics on the Performances and Emissions of an Early-injection LTC / Diesel Engine”, SAE 2008-01-2408.
- Hansen A.C., Zhang Q., Lyne P.W.L. “Ethanol-diesel fuel blends - a review”, Bioresource Technology, 96, 277-285, 2005.
- Hansen A.C., Gratton M.R., Yuan W. “Diesel engine performance and NOX emissions from oxygenated biofuels and blends with diesel fuel”, Transactions of the ASABE, 49, 589-595, 2006.
- Fernando S., Hanna M. “Development of a novel biofuel blend using ethanol-biodiesel-diesel microemulsions: EB-diesel”, Energy & Fuels; 18, 1695-1703, 2004.
- Fernando S., Hanna M. “Phase behaviour of the ethanol-biodiesel-diesel micro-emulsion system” Transactions of the ASAE, 48, 903-908, 2005.
- Hu C, Jian-Xin W, Shi-Jin S, Xin-Liang A, Wen-Miao C: “Effects of Ethanol in Ester-Ethanol-Diesel Blended Fuels on Spray Behaviour and PM Emission”, SAE 2006-01-0236.
- Kwanchareon P., Luengnaruemitchai A., Jai-In S. “Solubility of a diesel-biodiesel-ethanol blend, its fuel properties, and its emission characteristics from diesel engine”, Fuel, 86, 1053-1061, 2007.
- Shi X., Yu Y., He H., Shuai S., Wang J., Li R. “Emission characteristics using methyl soyate-ethanol-diesel fuel blends on a diesel engine”, Fuel, 84, 1543-1549, 2005.
- Shi X., Pang X.B., Mu Y.J., He H., Shuai S.J., Wang J.X. et al. “Emission reduction potential of using ethanol-biodiesel-diesel fuel blend on a heavy-duty diesel engine”, Atmospheric Environment, 40, 2567-2574, 2006.
- Kalghatgi G.T., Risberg P., Angström H.-E., “Advantages of fuels with high resistance to auto-ignition in late-injection, low-temperature, compression ignition combustion”, SAE 2006-01-3385.
- Kitano K., Nishiumi R., Tsukasaki Y., Tanaka T., Morinaga M., “Effects of fuel properties on Premixed Charge Compression Ignition combustion in a direct injection diesel engine”, SAE 2003-01-1815.