This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HC-SCR Catalyst Performance in Reducing NOx Emissions from a Diesel Engine Running Transient Test Cycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The two most common NOx reducing technologies, in an oxygen abundant exhaust stream, are urea selective catalytic reduction urea-SCR and lean NOx trap (LNT) catalysts. Each technology has advantages and disadvantages. Another selective catalytic reduction (SCR) catalyst that uses hydrocarbons (HC-SCR), specifically diesel fuel, as the reductant to reduce NOx emissions was investigated. This catalyst is a result of a high throughput discovery project and conducted in cooperation with BASF, Accelrys and funded by the Department of Energy (DOE.) Several full size 5.0L monolith catalysts were made and evaluated using a V6 turbo charged diesel engine connected to a dynamometer running light-duty transient test cycles. The NOx efficiency on the HWYFET and US06 tests were measured to be 92% and 76% respectively. The FTP was 60% on a weighted basis.
CitationViola, M., "HC-SCR Catalyst Performance in Reducing NOx Emissions from a Diesel Engine Running Transient Test Cycles," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2487, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2487.
- Viola M. B. Brown D. B. “Emission Performance Improvement On A Light Duty Diesel Engine With An LNT Based Aftertreatment System via Use Of A POX Reformer System” FISITA 2006 World Automotive Congress YOKOHAMA, JAPAN 2006
- Schmieg S. J. Lee J.-H. Oh S. H. “Selective Catalytic Reduction Of NOx Over Ag/Alumina Catalyst Using Fuel-Component Hydrocarbons” 19 th North American Meeting of the Catalysis Society May 23-27 2005
- Schmieg S. J. Blint R. J. Deng L. “Control Strategy For The Removal Of NOx From Diesel Engine Exhaust Using Hydrocarbon Selective Catalytic Reduction” SAE Technical paper 2008-01-2486 Powertrain Fuels and Lubricants Meting October 6-9 2008
- Eranen K. Lindfors L.-E. Niemi A. Elfving P. Cider L. “Influence of Hydrocarbons on the Selective Catalystic Reduction of NOx over Ag/Al2O3 - Laboratory and Engine tests” SAE technical paper 2000-01-2813
- Meunier F.C. Breen J.P. Zuzaniuk V. Olsson M. Ross J.R.H. “Mechanistic Aspects of the Selective Reduction of NO by Propene over Alumina and Silver-Alumina Catalysts” Journal of Catalysis 187 493 505 1999
- Shimizu K. Satsuma A. Hattori T. “Catalytic Performance of Ag-Al2O3 Catalyst for the Selective Catalytic Reduction of NO by Higher Hydrocarbons” Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 25 239 247 2000