This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Spray Penetration and Velocity Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study is presenting a comparative spray study of modern large bore medium speed diesel engine common rail injectors. One subject of paper is to focus on nozzles with same nominal flow rate, but different machining. The other subject is penetration velocity measurements, which have a new approach when trying to understand the early phase of transient spray.
A new method to use velocimetry for spray tip penetration measurements is here introduced. The length where spray penetration velocity is changed is found. This length seems to have clear connection to volume fraction of droplets at gas. These measurements also give a tool to divide the development of spray into acceleration region and deceleration region, which is one approach to spray penetration.
The measurements were performed with backlight imaging in pressurized injection test rig at non-evaporative conditions. Gas density and injection pressure were matched to normal diesel engine operational conditions. The pressurizing gas was nitrogen and the measurements were made in non-evaporative conditions. A double pulsed laser was used as light source and double frame camera as recording device.
CitationHillamo, H., Sarjovaara, T., Vuorinen, V., Larmi, M. et al., "Diesel Spray Penetration and Velocity Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2478, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2478.
- Naber, J. D. Siebers, L. D. 1996 Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper Series 960034 82 111
- Kennaird, D.A. Crua, C. Lacoste, J. Heikal, M.R. Gold, M.R. Jackson, N.S. 2001 In-Cylinder Penetration and Break-Up of Diesel Spray Using a Common-Rail Injection System Society of Automotive Engineers 2002-01-1626
- Morgan, R. Wray, J. Kennaird D. A. Crua, C. Heikal, M. R. 2001 The Influence of Injector Parameters on the Formation and Break-Up of the Diesel Spray Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper Series 2001-01-0529 12
- Desantes, J. M. Payri, R. Salvador, F. J. Gil, A. 2006 Development and Validation of a Theoretical Model for Diesel Spray Penetration Fuel 85 2006 910 917
- Cheong, S. Liu, J. Shu, D. Wang, J. Powell, C. F. 2004 Effects of Ambient Pressure on Dynamics of Near-Nozzle Diesel Sprays Studied by Ultrafast X-Radiography Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper Series 2004-01-2026 . Mixture Preparation, Combustion & Emission Formation Processes in SI Engines, & Diesel Spray & Mixture Formation: SP-1888 7
- Kastrengen, A. L. Powell, C. F. Cheong, S. Wang, Y. Im, K. Liu, X. Wang, J. Riedel, T. 2007 Determination of Diesel Spray Axial Velocity Using X-Ray Radiography Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper Series 2007-01-0666 . Diesel Fuel Injection and Sprays (2007): SP-2083 12
- Hillamo, H. J. Kaario, O. Larmi, M. 2008 Particle Image Velocimetry Measurements of a Diesel Spray Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper Series 2008
- Klein-Douwel, R. J. H. Frijters, P. J. M. Somers, L. M. T. Boer, W. A. Baert, R. S. G. 2006 Macroscopic diesel fuel spray shadowgraphy using high speed digital imaging in a high pressure cell Fuel 86 2006 1994 2007
- Bae Choonsig Kang Jinsuk 2006 The Structure of a break-up zone in the transient diesel spray of a valve-covered orifice nozzle Int. Journal of Engine Research 7 319 334 10.1243/14680874JER04805
- Sazhin, S. S. Feng, G. Heikal, M. R. 2001 A Model for Fuel Spray Penetration Fuel 80 2001 2171 2180
- Heywood, John B. 1988 Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Singapore McGraw-Hill 930 0-07-100499-8
- Elgobashi, S. 1994 On Predicting Particle Laden Turbulent Flows Appl. Sci. Res. 52 1994 309 329
- Faeth, G. M. Hsiang, L.-P. Wu, P.-K. 1995 Structures and Break-Up Properties of Sprays Int. J. Multiphase Flow 21 99 127
- Vuorinen, V. Larmi, M. Fuchs, L. 2008 Large-Eddy Simulation on the Effect of Droplet Size Distribution on Mixing of Passive Scalar in a Spray Society of Automotive Engineers 2008-01-0933
- Hiroyasu, Hiro Arai, Masataka 1990 Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper Series, 900475 . International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan 11 0148-7191