This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A 1D Analysis into the Effect of Variable Valve Timing on HCCI Engine Parameters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 6, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of variable intake-valve-timing on the gas exchange process and performance of a 4-valve direct-injection HCCI engine were computationally investigated using a 1D gas dynamics engine cycle simulation code. A non-typical strategy to actuate the pair of intake valves was examined; whereby each valve was assumed to be actuated independently at different timing. Using such an intake valves strategy, the obtained results showed a considerable improvement of the engine parameters such as load and charging efficiency as compared with the typical identical intake valve pair timings case. Additional benefits of minimizing pumping losses and improving the fuel economy were demonstrated with the use of the non-simultaneous actuation of the intake valve pair having the opening timing of the early intake valve coupled with a symmetric degree of crank angle for the timing of exhaust valve closing.
CitationMahrous, A., Potrzebowski, A., Wyszynski, M., Xu, H. et al., "A 1D Analysis into the Effect of Variable Valve Timing on HCCI Engine Parameters," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2459, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2459.
- Zhao, F., Asmus, T.W., Assanis, D.N., Dec, J.E., Eng, J.A. and Najt, P.M., Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine: Key Research and Development Issues. 2003: SAE International, PT-94, ISBN 0-7680-1123-x.
- Wang, Z., Wang, J-X., Shuai, S-J., Tian, G-H. and An, X-L., Experimental and Computational Studies on Gasoline HCCI Combustion Control Using Injection Strategies. J. of Engineering for gas turbines and power, Transactions of ASME, 2007. 129: p. 870-876.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Assanis, D.N. and Fiveland, S.B., An Approach for Modeling the Effects of Gas Exchange Processes on HCCI Combustion and Its Application in Evaluating Variable Valve Timing Control Strategies. SAE Technical paper No. 2002-01-2829, 2002.
- Milovanovic, N., Chen, R. and Turner, J., Influence of variable valve timings on the gas exchange process in a controlled auto-ignition engine. Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs, Part D: J. of Automobile Engineering, 2004. 218: p. 567-583.
- Xu, H., Fu, H., Williams, H., and Shilling, I., Modelling Study of Combustion and Gas Exchange in a HCCI (CAI) Engine. SAE paper No. 2002-01-0114, 2002.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Lavoie, G.A. and Assanis, D.N., Modeling HCCI Combustion with High Levels of Residual Gas Fraction - A Comparison of Two VVA Strategies. SAE Technical paper No. 2003-01-3220, 2003.
- Chang, K., Babajimopoulos, A., Lavoie,G.A., Filipi, Z.S. and Assanis, D.N., Analysis of Load and Speed Transitions in an HCCI Engine Using 1-D Cycle Simulation and Thermal Networks. SAE Paper No. 2006-01-1087, 2006.
- Law, D., Kemp, D., Allen, J., Kirkpatrick, G. and Copland, T., Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train. SAE Technical paper No. 2001-01-0251, 2001.
- Li, J., Zhao, H., Ladommatos, N. and Ma, T., Research and Development of Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) Combustion in a 4-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-3608, 2001.
- Caton, P.A., Simon, A.J., Gerdes, J.C. and Edwards, C.F., Residual-effected homogeneous charge compression ignition at a low compression ratio using exhaust reinduction. Int. J. Engine Research, 2003. 4(3): p. 163-177.
- Kaahaaina, N.B., Simon, A. J., Caton, P.A. and Edwards, C.F., Use of Dynamic Valving to Achieve Residual-Affected Combustion. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0549, 2001.
- Shaver, G.M., Roelle, M. J., Caton, P. A., Kaahaaina, N. B., Ravi, N., Hathout, J-P., Ahmed, J., Kojic, A., Park, S., Edwards, C. F. and Gerdes, J. C., A physics-based approach to the control of homogeneous charge compression ignition engines with variable valve actuation. Int. J. Engine Research, 2005. 6: p. 361-375.
- Milovanovic, N., Blundell, D., Gedge, S. and Turner, J., Cam Profile Switching (CPS) and Phasing Strategy vs Fully Variable Valve Train (FVVT) Strategy for Transitions between Spark Ignition and Controlled Auto Ignition Modes. SAE Technical paper No. 2005-01-0766, 2005.
- Cao, L., Zhao, H., Jiang, X. and Kalian, N., Understanding the influence of valve timings on controlled autoignition combustion in a four-stroke port fuel injection engine. Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs, Part D: J. of Automobile Engineering, 2005. 219: p. 807-823.
- Mahrous, A.-F.M., Wyszynski, M.L., Xu, H.M., Tsolakis, A. and Qiao, J., Effect of Intake Valves Timings on in-Cylinder Charge Characteristics in a DI Engine Cylinder with Negative Valve Overlapping. SAE Paper No. 2008-01-1347, 2008.
- Ricardo Inc, WAVE 7.2 user's manual. 2006.
- Woschni, G., A universally applicable equation for the instantaneous heat transfer coefficient in the internal combustion engine. SAE Paper No. 670931, 1967.
- Livengood, J.C. and Wu P.C., Correlation of Autoignition Phenomenon in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines, in Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Combustion. 1955: pp. 347-356.
- Potrzebowski, A., Misztal, J., Wyszynski, M.L. and Xu, H.M., An Auto-ignition Combustion Model for HCCI Engine Cycle Simulations, in Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs, Part D, J. of Automobile Engineering. 2008-subm.