This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Cycle-By-Cycle Air-to-Fuel Ratio Determined from the Exhaust Gas Composition and a Novel Fast Response Device Based on a Wide Band Lambda Sensor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes cyclic Air/Fuel ratio (AFR) measurements carried out with a novel device (fUEGO) based on a production Universal Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor, but modified to give an improved frequency response. The results are compared to AFR calculated from a fast CO/CO2 analyser and a fast response flame ionization detector (FID).
The direct comparison of the two different methods for determining the cyclic AFR reveals that the electrochemical device is in reasonable agreement with the more complex carbon balance method and can provide reliable cyclic AFR measurements with a reduced requirement for equipment and data post processing. The fUEGO however is sensitive to elevated levels of uHC's (unburned hydrocarbons) during misfires or partial burns and readings during such situations usually show deviations compared to the carbon balance method.
The frequency response of the fUEGO is in the 6 - 12 milliseconds region, depending on the step size of the AFR step, and although this is slower than the fast CO/CO2 analyser and the fast FID, cyclic resolution is possible up to high engine speeds.
CitationRegitz, S. and Collings, N., "Study of Cycle-By-Cycle Air-to-Fuel Ratio Determined from the Exhaust Gas Composition and a Novel Fast Response Device Based on a Wide Band Lambda Sensor," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2439, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2439.
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company 1988
- Regitz, S. Collings, N. Fast response Air-to-Fuel Ratio measurements using a novel device based on a wide band lambda sensor Meas. Sci. and Technol. 19
- Davis, P.W. Peckham, M.S. Measurement of Cycle-by-Cycle AFR using a Fast Response NDIR Analyser for Cold Start Fuelling Calibration Applications SAE 2006-01-1515 2006
- Riegel, J. Neumann, H. Wiedenmann H.-M. Exhaust gas sensors for automotive emission control Solid State Ionics 152 153 2002 783 800
- Ramamoorthy, R. Dutta, P.K. Akbar, S.A. Oxygen sensors: Materials, methods, designs and applications Journ. of Materials Science 38 2003 4271 4282
- Chazal, D. Controlling oxygen sensors with an automotive microcontroller MSc.Thesis Stockholm, Sweden 2006