This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-Kerosene Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline blended with kerosene, which is considered to be ‘adulterated’ fuel in South Asian countries, has been shown to increase knocking tendency in spark-ignition engines. The current study involves the use of known gasoline-kerosene blends to fuel a single cylinder Ricardo E6 engine and characterize the knocking of such blends. This paper presents results and discusses the variation of knock limited spark timing with change in kerosene proportion in the blend and with air-fuel ratio. Knock characterization is quantitatively evaluated by applying Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) and bandpass filtering techniques to the cylinder pressure data. Knock intensity of the gasoline-kerosene blends with varying proportion of kerosene is compared. An increasing amount of kerosene in the blends has been shown to increase both the knocking tendency as well as the intensity of knock.
Comparison is also made between the data processing techniques based on data recorded at approximately 10 samples per crank angle and data recorded at 1 sample per crank angle. Results indicate that the lower sampling rate is also satisfactory for identifying knock. It has also been shown that the cylinder pressure traces have similar characteristic frequencies irrespective of knock intensity.
CitationBaral, B. and Raine, R., "Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-Kerosene Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2417, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2417.
- Guibet J.C. Fuels and Engines Editions Technip Paris 1999
- The World Bank Group South Asia Urban Air Quality management Briefing note No.7 2002 ‘Catching gasoline and diesel adulteration’ February 10 2007 http://www.cleanairnet.org/cai/1403/article-34348.html
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill Singapore 1988
- Konig, G. Maly, R. R. Bradley, D. Lau, A. K. C. Sheppard, C. G. W. Role of exothermic centres on knock initiation and knock damage SAE Paper No. 902136 1990
- Pan, J. Sheppard, C.G.W. A theoretical and experimental study of the modes of end gas autoignition leading to knock in S. I. engines SAE Paper No. 942060 1994
- Eng, J. A. Characterization of pressure waves in HCCI combustion SAE Paper No. 2002-01-2859 2002
- Collings, N. Dinsdale, S. Eade, D. Knock detection by means of the spark plug SAE Paper No. 860635 1986
- Mittal, V. Revier, B. M. Heywood, J. B. Phenomena that determine knock onset in spark-ignition engines SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0007 2007
- Chun, K. M. Kim, K. W. Measurement and analysis of knock in a SI engine using the cylinder pressure and block vibration signals SAE Paper No. 940146 1994
- Naber, J. D. Blough, J. R. Frankowski, D. Goble, M. Szpytman, J. E. Analysis of combustion knock metrics in spark ignition engines SAE Paper No. 2006-01-0400 2006
- Millo, F. Ferraro, C. V. Knock in S.I. engines: a comparison between different techniques for detection and control SAE Paper No. 982477 1998
- Checkel, M. D. Dale, J. D. Computerized knock detection from engine pressure records SAE Paper No. 860028 1986
- Chun, K. M. Heywood, J. B. Characterization of knock in a spark ignition engine SAE Paper No. 890156 1989
- Brunt, M. F. J. Pond, C. R. Biundo, J. Gasoline engine knock analysis using cylinder pressure data SAE Paper No. 980896 1998
- Chiriac, R. Radu, B. Apostolescu, N. Defining knock characteristics and autoignition condition of LPG with a possible correlation for the control strategy in a SI engine SAE Paper No. 2006-01-0227 2006
- Kalghatgi, G. T. Golombok, M. Snowdon, P. 1995 Fuel effects of knock, heat release and “CARS” temperatures in a spark ignition engine Combust. Sci. Tech. 110-111 209 228 1995
- Chiriac, R. Apostolescu, N. Niculescu, D. An experimental study of knock in a spark ignition engine fueled with LPG SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0976 2004
- Valtadoros, T. H Wong, V. W. Heywood, J. B. Engine knock characteristics at the audible level SAE Paper No. 910567 1991
- Etter, D. M. Engineering Problem Solving with MATLAB Prentice Hall New Jersey 1997
- Smith, S. W. Digital signal processing: a practical guide for engineers and scientists Newnes 2003
- Brook, D. Wynne, R. J. Signal Processing: Principles and Applications Edward Arnold London 1998
- Xiaofeng, G. Stone, R. Hudson, C. Bradbury, I. The detection and quantification of knock in spark ignition engines SAE Paper No. 932759 1993
- Andreae, M. M. Cheng, W. K. Kenney, T. Yang, J. On HCCI engine knock SAE Paper No. 2007-01-1858 2007