This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Durability Testing of Dual Clutch Transmission Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports its findings in three separate parts. First, a comparative study is made among existing commercial dual clutch automatic transmission fluids (DCTFs). Significant differences in fluid torque capacity, friction material compatibility and copper corrosion performance were found among the fluids. Second, both a new vehicle chassis dynamometer durability test and a SAE#2 durability procedure are offered, specifically designed for DCTs. A 2008 VW GTI did well in the severe 60,000 mile chassis dynamometer procedure. Third, a new DCT fluid is discussed.
CitationTersigni, S., Henly, T., Iyer, R., Cleveland, C. et al., "New Durability Testing of Dual Clutch Transmission Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2397, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2397.
- Matthes B. “Dual Clutch Transmissions - Lessons Learned and Future Potential,” SAE paper 2005-01-1021
- Amendola C.H.F. Alves M.A.L. “Gear shift strategies analysis of the automatic transmission in comparison with the double clutch transmission,” SAE paper 2006-01-2872
- Razzacki S.T. Hottenstein J.E. “Synchronizer Design and Development for Dual Clutch Transmissions (DCT)” SAE paper 2007-01-0114
- Newcomb T. Tipton C. Jao T-C. “Automatic Transmission and Driveline Fluids,” SAE paper 2007-01-3988
- Box, G. Hunter, W. Hunter, J. Statistics for Experimenters Wiley & Sons 1975 New York, New York
- GM Fuels & Lubricants group at GM Powertrain Pontiac, Michigan
- Cameron T.M. Iyer R. McCombs T. Maelger H. Rollin T. Tersigni S. Jao T-C “Enhanced Stability of Transmission Clutch Engagement with Temperature-Dependent ATF Friction” SAE 2007-01-3977
- Devlin M. T. Tersigni S.H. Senn J. Turner T.L. Jao T-C. Yatsunami K. “Modeling Friction Contributions in Step-Automatic Clutches” Tribology for Vehicle Transmissions Conference Tsukuba, Japan February 2005
- Devlin M. T. Tersigni S. H. Senn J. Turner T. L. Jao T-C Yatsunami K. “Effect of Friction Material on the Relative Contribution of Thin-Film Friction to Overall Friction in Clutches” SAE 2004-01-3025
- Cameron T. M. McCombs T. Devlin M. T. Tersigni S. H. Jao T-C “Automatic Transmission Fluid Friction Properties and Shifting Clutch Vibration” SAE 2004-01-3027
- Cameron T. M. Tersigni S. H. McCombs T. Jao T.-C. “Effects of ATF Friction Properties on Shudder in Slipping Torque Converter Clutches,” Proceedings of the 14th International Colloquium on Tribology Esslingen, Germany 2004
- Cameron T. M. Jao T. C. Tersigni S. H. McCombs T. “ATF Friction Effects on Stability in Slip Controlled Torque Converter Clutches,” SAE 2003-01-3255 2003
- Devlin M.T. Tersigni S. H. Li S. Turner T.L. Jao T-C. Yatsunami K. Cameron T. M. “Fundamentals of Anti-Shudder Durability: Part II - Fluid Effects” SAE 2003-01-3254 2003
- Li S. Devlin M. T. Tersigni S. H. Jao T-C. Yatsunami K. Cameron T. M. “Fundamentals of Anti-Shudder Durability: Part I - Clutch Plate Study” SAE 2003-01-1983 2003
- Tersigni S. H. Henly T. J. Ozbalik N. Devlin M. T. Li S. Cameron T.M. Yatsunami K. “Investigations of ATFs with Advanced Friction Durability” SAE Automatic Transmission Friction Systems TOPTEC: Advanced Concepts & New Applications August 22-23 2002
- Srinivasan S. Sunne J. P. Smith D. W. Stinnett D. W. “Prediction of Anti-Shudder Performance of ATF's in CSTCC-Equipped Vehicle Using the Low-Speed SAE#2 Machine” Proceedings of the 11th International Colloquium on Tribology Esslingen, Germany 1998