This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Testing, Modeling and System Impact of Metabolic Heat Regenerated Temperature Swing Adsorption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 29, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Metabolic heat regenerated temperature swing adsorption (MTSA) technology is being developed for removal and rejection of carbon dioxide (CO2) and heat from a portable life support system (PLSS) to the Martian environment. Previously, hardware was built and tested to demonstrate using heat from simulated, dry ventilation loop gas to affect the temperature swing required to regenerate an adsorbent used for CO2 removal. New testing has been performed using a moist, simulated ventilation loop gas to demonstrate the effects of water condensing and freezing in the heat exchanger during adsorbent regeneration. Also, the impact of MTSA on PLSS design was evaluated by performing thermal balances assuming a specific PLSS architecture. Results using NASA's Extravehicular Activity System Sizing Analysis Tool (EVAS_SAT), a PLSS system evaluation tool, are presented.
- Heather L. Paul - National Aeronautics and Space Administration Johnson Space Center
- Christine S. Iacomini - Paragon Space Development Corporation
- Aaron Powers - Paragon Space Development Corporation
- Matthew Lewis - Paragon Space Development Corporation
- Bruce Conger - Hamilton Sundstrand
- Glenn Waguespack - GeoControl Systems, Inc.
CitationIacomini, C., Powers, A., Lewis, M., Waguespack, G. et al., "Testing, Modeling and System Impact of Metabolic Heat Regenerated Temperature Swing Adsorption," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2116, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2116.
- Iacomini C. MacCallum T. Morin T. Straub-Lopez K. Paul H. L. “Martian Liquid CO 2 and Metabolic Heat Regenerated Temperature Swing Adsorption for Portable Life Support Systems” Space Technology and Applications International Forum (STAIF) 2007 Albuquerque, NM February 11 - 15 2007
- Iacomini C. S. Powers A. Bower C. Straub-Lopez K. Anderson G. MacCallum T. Paul H. L. “Metabolic heat regenerated Temperature Swing Adsorption for CO 2 & Heat Removal/Rejection in a Martian PLSS” 37 th International Conference on Environmental Systems, 2007-01-3273 2007
- Iacomini C. S. Powers A. Dunham J. Straub-Lopez K. Anderson G. MacCallum T. Paul H. L. “Demonstration of Metabolic Heat Regenerated Temperature Swing Adsorption Technology” 37 th International Conference on Environmental Systems, 2007-01-3274 2007
- Brown C. B. Bue G. C. Conger B. C. Miranda B. M. Rouen M. N. “Extravehicular Activity System Sizing Analysis Tool (EVAS_SAT) for Advanced Spacesuit Systems” 37 th International Conference on Environmental Systems, 2007-01-3208 2007