This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Joint Reaction Forces at the Hip Joint during Dynamic Manipulation of the Femur
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Objective: To determine if the Articulated Total Body (ATB) Model can realistically model the joint reaction forces generated at the hip joint during posteriorly-directed manipulations of the femur. Methods: A 50th percentile adult male positioned supine with the pelvis constrained, the leg in 0° and 20° of abduction was modeled. Dynamic manipulation forces with a constant period of 0.24 seconds and amplitudes of 250N, 500N, and 750N were applied 10 cm distal to the center of the right hip joint along the longitudinal axis of the right femur in the anterior to posterior direction. Results: The percentage of the applied force seen at the hip joint decreased with increasing load amplitude. Conclusion: This study represents a novel and successful application of the ATB Model to elucidate the time-dependent forces produced within the hip joint during dynamic joint manipulations commonly performed by healthcare practitioners.
CitationGardner, T., Fishman, K., Johns, A., and Johnson, E., "Joint Reaction Forces at the Hip Joint during Dynamic Manipulation of the Femur," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1885, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1885.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Osteoarthritis of the Hip: A Compendium of Evidence-based Information and Resources. Scientific Review]. 02/24/08; http://www.aaos.org/Research/documents/oainfo_hip.asp.
- Flores RH, Hochberg MC. Medical management of osteoarthritis. Contemp Intern Med. Jun 1995;7(6):32-36, 41-32.
- Hochberg MC, Altman RD, Brandt KD, et al. Guidelines for the medical management of osteoarthritis. Part I. Osteoarthritis of the hip.American College of Rheumatology. Arthritis Rheum. Nov 1995;38(11):1535-1540.
- Hochberg MC, Kasper J, Williamson J, Skinner A, Fried LP. The contribution of osteoarthritis to disability: preliminary data from the Women's Health and Aging Study. J Rheumatol Suppl. Feb 1995;43:16-18.
- Birrell F, Croft P, Cooper C, Hosie G, Macfarlane G, Silman A. Predicting radiographic hip osteoarthritis from range of movement. Rheumatology (Oxford). May 2001;40(5):506-512.
- Steultjens MP, Dekker J, van Baar ME, Oostendorp RA, Bijlsma JW. Range of joint motion and disability in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee or hip. Rheumatology (Oxford). Sep 2000;39(9):955-961.
- Verrall GM, Slavotinek JP, Barnes PG, Esterman A, Oakeshott RD, Spriggins AJ. Hip joint range of motion restriction precedes athletic chronic groin injury. J Sci Med Sport. Dec 2007;10(6):463-466.
- Mosler AB, Blanch PD, Hiskins BC. The effect of manual therapy on hip joint range of motion, pain and eggbeater kick performance in water polo players. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2006;7(3):128-136.
- Sjolie AN. Low-back pain in adolescents is associated with poor hip mobility and high body mass index. Scand J Med Sci Sports. Jun 2004;14(3):168-175.
- Vad VB, Bhat AL, Basrai D, Gebeh A, Aspergren DD, Andrews JR. Low back pain in professional golfers: the role of associated hip and low back range-of-motion deficits. Am J Sports Med. Mar 2004;32(2):494-497.
- Wong TK, Lee RY. Effects of low back pain on the relationship between the movements of the lumbar spine and hip. Hum Mov Sci. Jun 2004;23(1):21-34.
- Hoeksma HL, Dekker J, Ronday HK, Breedveld FC, Van den Ende CH. Manual therapy in osteoarthritis of the hip: outcome in subgroups of patients. Rheumatology (Oxford). Apr 2005;44(4):461-464.
- Robertsson O, Wingstrand H, Onnerfalt R. Intracapsular pressure and pain in coxarthrosis. J Arthroplasty. Oct 1995;10(5):632-635.
- PART TWO: Preferred Practice Patterns. Physical Therapy. 2001;81(1):S123-S405.
- Hoeksma HL, Dekker J, Ronday HK, et al. Comparison of manual therapy and exercise therapy in osteoarthritis of the hip: a randomized clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum. Oct 15 2004;51(5):722-729.
- MacDonald CW, Whitman JM, Cleland JA, Smith M, Hoeksma HL. Clinical outcomes following manual physical therapy and exercise for hip osteoarthritis: A case series. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. Aug 2006;36(8):588-599.
- Vogels E, Hendriks H, van Baar M, Dekker J, Hopman-Rock M, Oostendorp R. Clinical practice guidelines for physical therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. Royal Dutch Society for Physiotherapy. 2003.
- Wisnes A, Aarskog R, Haugland M, Jamtvedt G, Lygren H, Nordheim L. Traction for hip osteoarthritis. (Protocol) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2007;Issue 4. Art. No.: CD006785. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006785.
- Appendixes. Physical Therapy. 2001;81(1):S675-S683.
- Threlkeld AJ. The effects of manual therapy on connective tissue. Phys Ther. Dec 1992;72(12):893-902.
- Dienst M, Seil R, Godde S, et al. Effects of traction, distension, and joint position on distraction of the hip joint: an experimental study in cadavers. Arthroscopy. Oct 2002;18(8):865-871.
- Vaarbakken K, Ljunggren AE. Superior effect of forceful compared with standard traction mobilizations in hip disability? Advances in Physiotherapy. 2007;9(3):117-128.
- Fitzgerald GK, McClure PW, Beattie P, Riddle DL. Issues in determining treatment effectiveness of manual therapy. Phys Ther. Mar 1994;74(3):227-233.
- Chang H, Rizer, L., Obergefell, L. Articulated Total Body Model Version V User's Manual; 1998.
- Obergefell L, Gardner T., Kaleps, I., and Fleck, J. Articulated Total Body Model Enhancements, Volume 2: User's Guide. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH: Armstrong Laboratory; 1988.
- Engin AE, Chen SM. On the biomechanics of human hip complex in vivo--II. Passive resistive properties beyond the hip complex sinus. J Biomech. 1988;21(10):797-805.
- Harding L, Barbe M, Shepard K, et al. Posterior-anterior glide of the femoral head in the acetabulum: a cadaver study. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. Mar 2003;33(3):118-125.
- Cheng H, Obergefell, L.A., Rizer, A. Generator of Body (GEBOD) Manual. Vol AL/CF-TR-1994 0051; 1994.
- Gross ME. The GEBODIII Program User's Guide and Description. 1991;AL-TR-1991-0102.
- Engin AE, Chen SM. On the biomechanics of human hip complex in vivo--I. Kinematics for determination of the maximal voluntary hip complex sinus. J Biomech. 1988;21(10):785-795.
- Hertling D, Kessler RM. Management of common musculoskeletal disorders: physical therapy principles and methods. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott; 1996.
- Engin AE, Chen SM. Statistical data base for the biomechanical properties of the human shoulder complex--II: Passive resistive properties beyond the shoulder complex sinus. J Biomech Eng. Aug 1986;108(3):222-227.
- Engin AE, Chen SM. Statistical data base for the biomechanical properties of the human shoulder complex--I: Kinematics of the shoulder complex. J Biomech Eng. Aug 1986;108(3):215-221.