This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Generating Average or Targeted Head Models from Three-Dimensional Scans
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a method to generate average or targeted head models from three-dimensional (3D) scans, with application for product design/evaluation. The implemented method aligns 3D head scans and corresponding anatomy at a few critical levels and performs surface synthesis on cross-sectional curves. This results in a smooth shape and control to obtain accurate anatomic features for the final model.
CitationLi, P., Corner, B., Paquette, S., and Carson, J., "Generating Average or Targeted Head Models from Three-Dimensional Scans," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1883, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1883.
- Allen, B. Curless, B. Popović, Z. “Exploring the space of human body shapes: data-driven synthesis under anthropometric control” SAE Digital Human Modeling 2004
- Azouz, Zouhour B. Rioux, M. Lepage, R. “3D Description of the Human Body Shape Using Karhunen-Loève Expansion” International Journal of Information Technology 8 2 Sept. 2002
- Blanz, V. Vetter, T. “A Morphable Model for the Synthesis of 3D Faces” Computer Graphics Proceedings SIGGRAPH'99 187 194 1999
- Chen, Shenchang Parent, R. “Shape Averaging and it's Applications to Industrial Design” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 1989 9 1 47 54
- DeCarlo, D. Metaxas, D. Stone, M. “An Anthropometric Face Model using Variational Techniques” Proceedings SIGGRAPH 1998 67 74
- Farkas, L. Anthropometry of the Head and Face Raven Press New York 1994
- Fuchs, H. Kedem, Z. Uselton, S. Optimal Surface Reconstruction from Planar Contours Graphics and Image Processing 20 10 693 702 October 1977
- Gordon, C. G. Bradtmiller, B. Churchill, T. Clauser, C.E. McConville, J.T. Tebbetts, I. Walker, R. 1988 Anthropometric Survey of U.S. Army Personnel: Methods and Summary Statistics Technical Report, Natick/TR-89/044 U.S. Army Natick RDEC Sept. 1989
- Hwang, Ben-Woo Blanz, V. Vetter, T. Lee, Semoing-Whan “Face Reconstruction from a Small Number of Feature Points” Proceedings of IEEE Workshop: Biologically Motivated Computer Vision 2000 308 315 Seoul Korea May 2000
- Marquez et-al “Shape-Based Averaging for Craniofacial Anthropometry” Proceedings of the 6 th Mexican International Conf. on Computer Science 314 319 2005 1550-4069 0-7695-2454-0
- Wang, Charlie “Parameterization and Parametric Design of Mannequins” Computer-Aided Design 37 1 January 2005 83 98