This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Predicting Driving Postures and Seated Positions in SUVs Using a 3D Digital Human Modeling Tool
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 17, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
3D digital human modeling (DHM) tools for vehicle packaging facilitate ergonomic design and evaluation based on anthropometry, comfort, and force analysis. It is now possible to quickly predict postures and positions for drivers with selected anthropometry based on ergonomics principles. Despite their powerful visual representation technology for human movements and postures, these tools are still questioned with regard to the validity of the output they provide, especially when predictions are made for different populations. Driving postures and positions of two populations (i.e. North Americans and Koreans) were measured in actual and mock-up SUVs to investigate postural differences and evaluate the results provided by a DHM tool. No difference in driving postures was found between different stature groups within the same population. Between the two populations, however, preferred angles differed for three joints (i.e., ankle, thigh, and hip). In addition, a knowledge-based engineering process was developed to provide valid 3D digital driver models. Predicted driving postures and positions obtained by this process matched well with the empirical data measured in this study.
CitationLee, J., Kwon, B., Kyung, G., and Nussbaum, M., "Predicting Driving Postures and Seated Positions in SUVs Using a 3D Digital Human Modeling Tool," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1856, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1856.
- Rhodes P. Suffell C. Bobrowski R. “A New Generation Knowledge-Based Engineering Computer Mannequin for Use in Automotive Packaging” SAE Technical Paper Series , 960449 1996
- Reed M. P. Manary M. A. Schneider L. W. “Methods for Measuring and Representing Automobile Occupant Posture, ” SAE Technical Paper Series , 1999-01-0959 1999
- Manary M. A. Schneider L. W. Flannagan C. C. Eby B. H. “Evaluation of the SAE J826 3-D Manikin Measures of Driver Positioning and Posture” SAE Technical Paper Series , 941048 1994
- Mollard R. Vernay J. Coblentz A. Hennion P-Y. “Ergodata : A Dedicated Database System for Digital Human Modeling and Ergonomic Studies” SAE Technical Paper Series , 1999-01-1888 1999
- Reed M. P. “Anthropometric and Postural Variability: Limitations of the Boundary Manikin Approach” SAE Technical Paper Series, 2000-01-2172 2000