This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characteristics of Output Performances and Emissions of Diesel Engine Employed Common Rail Fueled with Biodiesel Blends from Wasted Cooking Oil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the characteristics of performance and emissions of diesel and biodiesel blends are studied in a four-cylinder DI engine employing common rail injection system. The results show that engine output power is further reduced and brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) increased with the increase of the blend concentration. B100 provides average reduction by 8.6% in power and increase by 11% in BSFC. With respect to the emissions, although NOx emissions were increased with increasing the blend concentration, the increase depends on the load. Filter smoke number is reduced with increasing the blend concentration. At the same time, NO, NO2 and other specific emissions are also investigated.
In addition, difference of performance and emission between standard parameters of ECU and modified parameters of ECU is investigated for B10 and B20 based on same output power. The results show that NOx emission and FSN are still lower than baseline diesel. In addition, no significant penalty of fuel consumption is found
CitationZhang, X., Wang, H., Li, L., Wu, Z. et al., "Characteristics of Output Performances and Emissions of Diesel Engine Employed Common Rail Fueled with Biodiesel Blends from Wasted Cooking Oil," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1833, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1833.
- Graboski Michael S. McCormick Robert L. Combustion of Fat and Vegetable Oil Derived Fuels in Diesel Engines [J] Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 24 2 1998 125 164
- Spataru Alex Romig Claude Emissions and engine performance from blends of soya and canola methyl esters with ARB #2 diesel in a DDC 6V92TA MUI engine SAE paper 952388 1995
- Staat Frederic Gateau Paul The effects of rapeseed oil methyl ester on diesel engine performance, exhaust emissions and long-term behavior SAE paper 950053 1995
- Schumacher Leon Borgelt Steven Hires William G. Wetherell Will et al. 100,000 miles of fuelling 5.9L Cummins engines with 100% biodiesel SAE paper 962233 1996
- Akasaka Yukio Suzuki Teruo Sakurai Yoshihito Exhaust emissions of a DI diesel engine fueled with blends of biodiesel and low sulfur diesel fuel SAE paper 972998 1997
- United States Environmental Protection Agency 2002 “A Comprehensive Analysis of Biodiesel Impacts on Exhaust Emissions” Draft Technical Report, EPA420-P-02-001
- McCormick R.L. Tennant C. J. Hayes R.R Black Stuart et al. Regulated Emission from Biodiesel Tested in Heavy-Duty Engines Meeting 2004 Emission Standards SAE paper 2005-01-2200 2005
- Payri F. Macian V. Arregle J. Tormos B. Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Performance and Emission Measurements for Biodiesel (from Cooking Oil) Blends Used in the ECOBUS Project SAE paper 2005-01-2205 2005
- Grimaldi C. Postrioti L. Experimental Comparison between Conventional and Bio-derived Fuels Sprays from a Common Rail Injection System SAE paper 2000-01-1252 2000
- Postrioti L. Battistoni M. Grimaldi C.N. Millo F. Injection Strategies Tuning for the Use of Bio-Derived Fuels in a Common Rail HSDI Diesel Engine SAE paper 2003-01-0768 2003
- Senatore A. Cardone M. Allocca L. Vitolo S. Experimental Characterization of a Common Rail Engine Fueled with Different Biodiesel SAE 2005-01-2207 2005
- Senatore A. Cardone M. Buono D. et al. Performances and Emissions Optimization of a CR Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel SAE paper 2006-01-0235 2006
- Tat, M. van Gerpen, J. “Measurement of Biodiesel Speed of Sound and Its Impact on Injection Timing” National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL/SR-510-31462 February 2003
- Monyem, A. van Gerpen, J. Canakci, M. “The Effect of Timing and Oxidation on Emissions from Biodiesel-Fueled Engines” Trans. of the Am. Soc. of Agricultural Engineers 44 35 2001
- Sybist, J. Boehman, A. “Behavior Of A Diesel Injection System With Biodiesel Fuel” SAE Technical Paper No. 2003-01-1039 2003
- Beohman A.L. Song Juhun Alam Mahabubul Impact of Biodiesel blending on Diesel Soot and the Regeneration of Particulate Filters Energy and Fuels 2005 19 1857 1864