This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prototyping Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation System of Diesel Engine on Linux System with Automatic Code Generation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Faced with the need to reduce development time and cost, the hardware-in-the-loop simulation increasingly proves to be an efficient tool in the development of automotive engine control system. In this article, the rapid prototyping technology is used to develop a hardware-in-the-loop simulation system for the diesel engine electronic control unit development.
The hardware-in-the-loop simulation presented in this paper is based on Linux RTAI system, an open source hard real-time extension of the Linux Operating System, at low costs and within industrial standards. It exploits standard x86-based computing platforms provided with real-time Linux software in combination with generic computer-aided design software (Matlab/Simulink). One of its main characteristics is that it can automatically generate the real-time simulation code for many target processors, which runs under Linux RTAI operating system. The computer-aided design has benefits in reducing development period and optimizing the control parameters. It also enhances the adoption for software and relative hardware in various environments.
The core of the real-time simulation system is the dynamic models, it affect the workability and the reliability of the whole system. In this paper, a combination of mean value model and “filling and emptying” model that can perform real-time simulation of turbocharged diesel engine is adopted. Finally, an application of a turbocharged diesel engine was implemented to validating the effect of the hardware-in-the- loop simulation system.
CitationJiang, F., Gao, S., and Zhang, J., "Prototyping Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation System of Diesel Engine on Linux System with Automatic Code Generation," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1735, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1735.
- Isermann Rolf Sinsel Stefan Schaffnit Jochen Modeling and Real-Time Simulation of Diesel Engines for Control Design [J].SAE Special Publications 1998 1357 161 168
- Kao Minghui Moskwa John J.Turbocharged Diesel Engine Modeling for Nonlinear Engine Control and State Estimation[J].Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 1995 117 23
- Mathworks Inc. Real-Time Workshop for Use with Simulink, Getting Started
- Mathworks Inc. Real-Time Workshop for Use with Simulink, User's Guide
- YAO Xin-yu Ke-di HUANG Time in Simulation and Real Time Simulation ACTA SIMULATA SYSTEMATICA SINICA 1999 11 6 415 417
- Dozio, L. Mantegazza, P. 2003 Linux real time application interface (rtai) in low cost high performance motion control In Motion Control 2003 Milano, Italy ANIPLA
- YANG Jie TANG Bo-yao LI Cong-xin Research on Position Control System Based on Real-time Linux-RTAI Machine Tool & Hydraulics 2005 10 163 164
- Linux Real Time Application Interface (RTAI) in low cost high performance motion control 2003
- Schleff D. Hess F. Bruyninckx H. 2002 “Comedi documentation”
- Bianchi E. Dozio L. Some Experiences in Fast Hard-Heal Time Control in User Space with RTAI-LXRT http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9601485147.html
- Weeks Robert W. Moskwa John J. Automotive Engine Modeling for Real-Time Control Using MATLAB/SIMULINK SAE Technical Paper, ( 95417 ) 1995
- Kao M H Moskwa J J Turbocharged Diesel Engine Modeling for Nonlinear Engine Control and State Estimation ASME Journal of dynamic systems, measurement and control 117 1995 Open-source Software for Engine Model Development and Testing
- Hendricks E. Mean Value Modeling of Large Turbocharged Two-Stroke Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper, ( 890564 ) 1989
- Hendricks E. The Analysis of Mean Value Engine Models SAE Technical Paper, ( 890563 ) 1989
- Hendricks E. Sorenson S C. Mean Value Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper, ( 900161 ) 1990
- Watson N. Dynamic Turbo-Charged Diesel Engine Simulation for Electronic Control System Development ASME Journal of Dynamic System, Measurement and Control 106 1984
- Watson N Pilley A D Marzouk M SAE Paper 800029
- ZHU Fang-jun Wu Jian Numerical Calculation and Optimization of Operation Process of Internal Combustion Engine beijing National Defense Industry Press 1997