This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injection System Control for a Multi-Fuel SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the dependency on fuel blends of a four stroke, four cylinder SI engine equipped with a low pressure common rail type injection system is analyzed. With reference to an operating condition using E21 (21% ethanol, 79% gasoline) as a fuel, the experimental performance of the engine are firstly introduced, and the brake power, the specific fuel consumption, the total efficiency, the heating combustion power and the injected mass per stroke dependency on shaft speed are introduced.
Then, the multi-fuel injection system actual behavior is predicted by means of a properly tailored lumped and distributed numerical model, whose general reliability is defined mainly in terms of injected mass per stroke. Afterward, the engine performance variation with the fuel mixture is determined, and the adaptation of the PWM control applied to injectors is proposed to compensate the engine operating characteristics.
Finally, with reference to the engine performance using E100 (100% ethanol, 0% gasoline) as a fuel, the influence of the engine rotational speed on the injected mass per stroke, on the heat of combustion power, on the specific fuel consumption and on the brake power are introduced, and the numerical prediction reliability is assessed with respect to the engine experimental behavior.
- D. Bottazzi - University of Modena and Reggio Emilia - Italy
- F. Franzoni - University of Modena and Reggio Emilia - Italy
- M. Milani - University of Modena and Reggio Emilia - Italy
- L. Montorsi - University of Modena and Reggio Emilia - Italy
- M. Luppi - Magneti Marelli Powertrain S.p.A.
- G. Osbat - Magneti Marelli Powertrain S.p.A.
CitationBottazzi, D., Franzoni, F., Milani, M., Montorsi, L. et al., "Injection System Control for a Multi-Fuel SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1729, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1729.
- Nakata K. and Utsumi S. - “The Effect of Ethanol Fuel on Spark Ignition Engine” - SAE Paper 2006-01-3380, 2006.
- West B., Lopez A., Theiss T., Graves R., Storey J. and Lewis S. - “Fuel Economy and Emissions of the Ethanol-Optimized Saab 9.5 Biopower” - SAE Paper 2007-01-3994, 2007.
- Turner J. W. G., Peck A. and Pearson R. J. - “Flex-Fuel Vehicle Development to Promote Synthetic Alcohols as the Basis of a Potential Negative CO2 Energy Economy” - SAE Paper 2007-01-3618, 2007.
- Ku J., Huang Y., Hollowell B., Belle S., Matthews R. and Hall M., - “Conversion of a 1999 Silverado to Dedicated E85 with Emphasis on Cold Start and Cold Driveability” - SAE Paper 2000-01-0590, 2000.
- Amorim R. J., Molina Valle R., Coelho Baeta J. G., Mautone Barros J. E. and Bahia de Carvalho R. D. - “Spark Ignition Engine Performance Using Several Alcohol Concentrations in Gasoline and CNG” - SAE Paper 2005-01-4138, 2005
- Coelho Baeta J. G., Amorim R. J., Molina Valle R., Mautone Barros J. E. and Bahia de Carvalho R. D. - “Multi-Fuel Spark Ignition Engine - Optimization Performance Analysis” - SAE Paper 2005-01-4145, 2005.
- Volpato Filho O., Mazarà R. Jùnior, Theunissen F. - “Engine Management for MultiFuel® plus Compressed Natural Gas Vehicles” - SAE Paper 2005-01-4094, 2005.
- Amorim R. J., Coelho Baeta J. G., Molina Valle R., Mautone Barros J. E. and Bahia de Carvalho R. D. - “Experimental Analyses of Flexible fuel System in Spark Ignition Engine” - SAE Paper 2005-01-2183, 2005.
- Giroldo, M. B., Makant, W., Werninghaus, E., Coelho, E. P. D., - “Development of 1.6L Flex Fuel Engine for Brazilian Market” - SAE 2005-01-4130, 2005
- Baêta, J. G. C., Valle, R. M., Amorim, R. J., Barbosa de Deus, J. R., Barros, J. E. M., Bahia de Carvalho, R. D. - “A New Concept of a Flex Multi-Fuel Engine” - SAE 2004-01-3427, 2004
- Gnanam G., Burton R.T., Habibi S.R. and Sulatisky M., - “Neural network control of a bi-fuel engine” - SAE Paper 2004-01-1360, 2004.
- IMAGINE S.A., “AMESim 4.3. User Manual, Using the Hydraulic Library, Using the Hydraulic Component Design Library” - October 2005.