This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical Structure Analysis and Kinematic Simulation of the Satellite Star Gear Continuously Variable Transmission System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays more and more in-depth study and continuous investigation is being carried out in the continuously variable transmission (CVT) field. A good continuously variable ratio changing action would greatly improve the performance of the transmission and offer a high fuel economy. So it would save energy and protect environment, furthermore it would reduce the working intensity and demands of driving skill on the driver. Therefore, a high efficiency and good performance continuously variable transmission (CVT) is urgently needed.
This paper presents a new Satellite Star Gear (SSG) Continuously Variable Transmission System. It was created based on the Pulse Stepless Transmission with some improvements on the overrunning clutch, stepless speed change device etc. This paper introduces the basic mechanical structure and kinematical principle of a double eccentricity stepless speed change device, overrunning clutch and the whole mechanism (SSG). A 3D CAD model and kinematical simulation model of this mechanism (SSG) based on ADAMS are simply built, the kinematical simulation is carried out, finally the kinematical characteristic curves is derived. With the analysis of the motion characteristic curves, we developed an optimized mechanical structure size with the optimizing target of a lowest output speed fluctuation rate (pulse stepless) and a smallest structure size. This optimized results offered theoretical basis to the dynamical analysis and optimization. The mechanism in this paper has lots of advantages as follows:
- 1Large continuously variable ratio range;
- 2Kinematic “gear neutral” output without clutch and without recirculating power flow;
- 3Simple structure and easy to produce;
- 4Ratio changing at both static and moving state;
- 5High torque density and high efficiency.
CitationZhenkun, D., Xiangyang, X., Yanfang, L., and Shuhan, W., "Mechanical Structure Analysis and Kinematic Simulation of the Satellite Star Gear Continuously Variable Transmission System," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1688, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1688.
- Youqiang Zhou Mechanical Continuously Variable Transmission China Machine Press Beijing, China 2001 248 285
- Zhongtang Ruan Design and Selection Guide of Mechanical Continuously Variable Transmission Chemical Industry Press Beijing, China 1999 203 220
- Jingyuan Huang Hao Zhang etc. “Mechanical model and property analysis of chain-ring overrunning clutch” J Tsinghua Univ (Sci & T ech) 1997 37
- Zhiwei Mao Hua Zhang etc. “Reaserch on the Mechanism Motion Analysis and Motion Display of the New Style Pulse Stepless Transmission” Journal of Mechanical Transmission 2005 03
- Penglin Zhao Maolin Hang etc. “Optimum Design of New-style Impulse Variable Speed Device Based on Invariable Impulse Value” Journal of Chongqing University Natural Science Edition 2005 09
- Li Du Lin Li “Design on Mechanism Dimensional Parameters of Impulse Stepless Speed Regulators” Joural of Yuzhou University (Natural Sciences Edition) 2002 01