This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation on the Effects of Fuel Chemistry and Engine Operating Conditions on HCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A HCCI engine has been run at different operating boundaries conditions with fuels of different RON and MON and different chemistries. The fuels include gasoline, PRF and the mixture of PRF and ethanol. Six operating boundaries conditions are considered, including different intake temperature (Tin), intake pressure (Pin) and engine speed. The experimental results show that, fuel chemistries have different effect on the combustion process at different operating conditions. It is found that CA50 (crank angle at 50% completion of heat release) shows no correlation with either RON or MON at some operating boundaries conditions, but correlates well with the Octane Index (OI) at all conditions. The higher the OI, the more the resistance to auto-ignition and the later is the heat release in the HCCI engine. The operating range is also correlation with the OI. The higher the OI, the higher IMEP can reach. However, the OI can not show correlation with auto-ignition when the mixtures of PRF and ethanol are used.
CitationYao, M., Liu, H., Zhang, B., and Zheng, Z., "An Investigation on the Effects of Fuel Chemistry and Engine Operating Conditions on HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1660, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1660.
- Thring, R.H., “Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines”, SAE Paper 892068, 1989.
- Stanglmaier, R.H., Roberts, C.E., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises, and Future Engine Applications”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3682, 1999.
- Tanaka, S.; Ayala, F.; Keck, J. C.; Heywood, J. B. “Two-Stage Ignition in HCCI Combustion and HCCI Control by Fuels and Additives”, Combust. Flame, Vol.132, pp. 219-239, 2003.
- Shigeyuki, T.; Ferran, A.; James, C. K. “A Reduced Chemical Kinetic Model for HCCI Combustion of Primary Reference Fuels in a Rapid Compression Machine”, Combust. Flame, Vol.133, pp. 467-481, 2003.
- Westbrook C., “Chemical kinetics of hydrocarbon ignition in practical combustion systems”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 28, pp. 1563-1577, 2000.
- Kalghatgi Gautam, Risberg Per, Angstrom Hans-Erik, “A Method of Defining Ignition Quality of Fuels in HCCI Engines”, SAE Paper 2003-01-1816, 2003.
- Shibata Gen, Urushihara Tomonori, “The Interaction between Fuel Chemicals and HCCI Combustion Characteristics under Heated Intake Air Conditions”, SAE Paper 2006-01-0207, 2006.
- Iverson Robert J., Herold Randy E., Augusta Rinaldo, Foster David E., Ghandhi Jaal B., Eng James A., Najt Paul M., “The Effects of Intake Charge Preheating in a Gasoline-Fueled HCCI Engine”, SAE Paper 2005-01-3742, 2005.
- Wagner Uwe, Spicher Ulrich, “An Experimental Study of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) With Various Compression Ratios, Intake Air Temperatures and Fuels With Port and Direct Fuel Injection”, SAE Paper 2003-01-2293, 2003.
- Christensen Magnus, Johansson Bengt, Amnéus Per, Mauss Fabian, “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition”, SAE Paper 980787, 1998.
- Yap. D, Wuszunski. M. L, Megaritis. A, Xu. H, “Applying boosting to gasoline HCCI operation with residual gas trapping”. SAE Paper 2005-01-2121, 2005.
- Gharahbaghi. S., Wilson. T. S., Xu. H., Cryan. S., Richardson. S., Wyszynski. M. L., Misztal. J., “Modelling and Experimental Investigations of Supercharged HCCI Engines”. SAE Paper 2006-01-0634, 2006.
- Yao. M., Zhang. B., Zheng. Z., Chen. Z., Xing. Y., “Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Combustion and Emissions of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Primary Reference Fuels”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Part D: J. Automob. Eng., Vol. 221, pp.197-213, 2007.
- Yao Mingfa, Chen Zheng, Zheng Zunqing, Zhang Bo, Xing Yuan, “Effects of EGR on HCCI Combustion Fuelled with Dimethyl Ether (DME) and Methanol Dual-Fuels”, SAE Paper 2005-01-3730, 2005.
- Hyvönen Jari, Haraldsson Göran, Johansson Bengt, “Operating Conditions Using Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion During Combustion Mode Transfer to SI in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine”, SAE Paper 2005-01-0109, 2005.
- Hyvönen Jari, Haraldsson Göran, Johansson Bengt, Supercharging HCCI to Extend the Operating Range in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine, SAE Paper 2003-01-3214, 2003.
- Milovanovic Nebojsa, Blundell Dave, Pearson Richard, Turner Jamie, Chen Rui, “Enlarging the Operational Range of a Gasoline HCCI Engine By Controlling the Coolant Temperature”, SAE Paper 2005-01-0157, 2005.
- Dec John E., Hwang Wontae, Sjöberg Magnus, “An Investigation of Thermal Stratification in HCCI Engines Using Chemiluminescence Imaging”, SAE Paper 2006-01-1518, 2006.
- Sjöberg Magnus, Dec John E. Babajimopoulos Aristotelis, Assanis Dennis, “Comparing Enhanced Natural Thermal Stratification Against Retarded Combustion Phasing for Smoothing of HCCI Heat-Release Rates”, SAE Paper 2004-01-2994, 2004.
- Ozaki Jumpei, Iida Norimasa, “Effect of Degree of Unmixedness on HCCI Combustion Based on Experiment and Numerical Analysis”, SAE Paper 2006-32-0046, 2006.
- Richter M., Engström J., Franke A., Aldén M., Hultqvist A., Johansson B., “The Influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process”, SAE Paper 2000-01-2868, 2000.
- Ryan Thomas W. III, Matheaus Andrew C., “Fuel Requirements for HCCI Engine Operation”, SAE Paper 2003-01-1813, 2003.
- Kalghatgi Gautam T., “Auto-Ignition Quality of Practical Fuels and Implications for Fuel Requirements of Future SI and HCCI Engines”, SAE Paper 2005-01-0239, 2005.
- Lim Ock Taeck, Sendoh Naofumi, “Norimasa Iida, Experimental Study on HCCI Combustion Characteristics of n-Heptane and iso-Octane Fuel/Air Mixture by the use of a Rapid Compression Machine”, SAE Paper 2004-01-1968, 2004.
- Yao Mingfa, Zheng Zunqing, Zhang Bo, Chen Zheng, “The Effect of PRF Fuel Octane Number on HCCI Operation”, SAE Paper 2004-01-2992, 2004.
- Zheng, Z.; Yao, M. “Numerical Study on the Chemical Reaction Kinetics of n-Heptane for HCCI Combustion Process”, Fuel, Vol.85, pp.2605-2615, 2006.
- Jia, M.; Xie, M. “A Chemical Kinetics Model of isoOctane Oxidation for HCCI Engines”, Fuel, Vol. 85, pp.2593-2604, 2006.
- Kalghatgi, G.T., Head, R.A., “The available and required auto-ignition quality of gasoline-like fuels in HCCI engines at high temperatures”, SAE Paper 2004-01-1969, 2004.
- Risberg, P., Kalghatgi, G. and H-E Ångström, “Autoignition quality of gasoline-like fuels in HCCI engines”, SAE Paper 2003-01-3215, 2003.
- Risberg, P., Kalghatgi, G. and Ångström H-E, “The Influence of EGR on Auto-ignition Quality of Gasoline-like Fuels in HCCI Engines”, SAE Paper 2004-01-2952, 2004.
- Shibata Gen, Urushihara Tomonori, “Auto-ignition Characteristics of Hydrocarbons and Development of HCCI Fuel Index”, SAE Paper 2007-01-0220, 2007.
- Sjöberg Magnus, Dec John, “EGR and Intake Boost for Managing HCCI Low-Temperature Heat Release over Wide Ranges of Engine Speed”, SAE Paper 2007-01-0051, 2007.
- Xie Hui, Wei ZhiPeng, He Bang-quan, Zhao Hua, “Comparison of HCCI Combustion Respectively Fueled with Gasoline, Ethanol and Methanol through the Trapped Residual Gas Strategy”, SAE Paper 2006-01-0635, 2006.
- Hashimoto Kohtaro, “Effect of Ethanol on the HCCI Combustion”, SAE Paper 2007-01-2038, 2007.
- Yang J, Kenney T, “Robustness and performance near the boundary of HCCI operating regime of single-cylinder OKP engine”, SAE Paper 2006-01-1082, 2006.
- American Society for Testing Materials: Designation: D 2699-01a, Standard Test Method for Research Octane Number of Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel, 2001.
- American Society for Testing Materials: Designation: D 2700-01a, Standard Test Method for Motor Octane Number of Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel, 2001.
- Bradley Derek, Head R.A., “Engine autoignition: The relationship between octane numbers and autoignition delay times”, Combustion and Flame, Vol.147, pp.171-184, 2006.
- Yao Mingfa, Liu Haifeng, Zhang Bo, Zheng Zunqing, “The Influence of Inlet Pressure and Fuel Chemistry on Combustion and Performance of a HCCI Engine”, SAE Paper2008-01-0051, 2008.