This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation and Experimental Research on the Free Spray Characteristics of Bio-diesel Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The model of bio-diesel fuel's free spray was founded by using three-dimensional Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software. The distance of fuel jet penetration and sauter mean diameter (SMD) of bio-diesel fuel spray were computed and discussed. The atomization progress of fuel jet was simulated and the pictures of high speed photography were analyzed and compared in detail.
The results showed that the cone angle of bio-diesel fuel was smaller than that of diesel fuel nearly 3 degrees. The high speed photograph of fuel jet along with time was similar to the simulated results. The distance of fuel jet penetration and SMD of bio-diesel fuel was different from that of diesel fuel, and the differences changed along with the time. We found that the main reasons were that the density and viscosity of bio-diesel fuel were greater than that of diesel fuel. The fact will have great effect on the combustion and performance of the engine.
CitationGongping, M., Zhong, W., Dianyong, Y., and Yinnan, Y., "Numerical Simulation and Experimental Research on the Free Spray Characteristics of Bio-diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1598, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1598.
- Yuan, F. Shijin, S. Zhi, W. Xinliang, A. Jianxin, W. Deyang, H. Jianzhao, L. “Numerical Simulation of Conical Spray on Diesel Engine with Various Injection Strategies,” Transactions of CSICE 25 304 2007
- Liyan, F. Wuqiang, L. Shengli, W. Xianyin, L. Baoguo, D. “Numerical Simulation on New Conical Spray and Combustion for Diesel Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition,” Transactions of CSICE 24 134 2006
- Xibin, W. Jian, G. Deming, J. Zuohua, H. Wansheng, C. “Experimental Research and Numerical Simulation of High-Pressure Swirl Injection using Methanol and Ethanol,” Transactions of CSICE 24 1 2006
- Mingrui, W. Weidong, Z. Hua, W. Yusheng, Z. “Numerical Simulation and Experimental Study of Spray of Dimethyl Ether,” Journal of Combustion Science and Technology 12 394 2006
- Hu, C. Shijin, S. Jianxin, W. “Spray Characteristics of Ethanol, Diesel and Their Blended Fuels,” Journal of Combustion Science and Technology 11 465 2005
- Yunqing, L. Jing, Z. Kuang, L. Hong, S. Hongnan, W. “Spray/wall impingement with influence by shape of combustion chamber,” Journal of Jiangsu University (Natural Science Edition) 27 314 2006
- Bykov, V. Goldfarb, I. Goldshtein, V. et al “System Decomposition Technique for Spray Modeling in CFD Codes,” Computers & Fluids 36 601 2007
- Roisman, I.V. Araneo, L. Tropea, C. “Effect of Ambient Pressure on Penetration of a Diesel Spray,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 33 904 2007
- Andreassi, L. Ubertini, S. Allocca, L. “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of High Pressure Diesel Spray-wall Interaction,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 33 742 2007