This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancing the Flexural Capabilities of PTFE Seals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new approach has been developed to enhance polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) seal performance. To accomplish this, a fundamental need to improve the flexural capabilities of the PTFE seal was required. The new approach involves incorporating elastomeric portions to the seal in regions of the sealing lip that previously have been all PTFE. This new concept PTFE seal has demonstrated improved performance to present day bonded and clamped PTFE seal technologies in three specific areas of bench testing: Dynamic Torque reduction of 45% to 60%, Dynamic Durability life improvement of 1000+ hours at 15% higher geometry, and Thermal cycling performance improvement of 5-30%.
|Technical Paper||Engineering an Improved Performance PTFE Crankshaft Seal|
|Technical Paper||Development of Low Friction Radial Lip Seals|
|Technical Paper||A New Approach to Evaluate Sealing Characteristics of Reciprocating Seals|
CitationHatch, F. and Toth, D., "Enhancing the Flexural Capabilities of PTFE Seals," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1497, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1497.
- Physical Properties of Unfilled and Filled PTFE - Imperial Chemical Industries, PLC 1981
- Teflon Mechanical Design Data - E.I. duP de Nemours & Co., Inc General Characteristic, Friction
- Teflon TFE- Flourocarbon Resins - E.I. Dupont de Nemours & Co., Inc Dupont Information Bulletin No. x-60d
- TFE (Teflon) Radial Lip Seals - SAE Publication 730052 Sekulich S.A. Fluorotec Div., Mather Seal
- Advanced Analytical Techniques for the Optimization of PTFE Seals SAE Publication 930531 Toth David M. Hatch Frederick Federal Mogul Corp. Gerd Upper G. Bruss GmbH & Co. Kg