This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electrodeposited Black Cr-C Nano-Composite Coatings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nano graphite (50-60nm) displays excellent lubricating property and agglomerates easily into big particles in acidic electrolyte, which lead to its lower content in composite coatings. The influence of nano carbon particles concentration in bath, current density, temperature and agitating method on the properties of electrodeposited black Cr-C composite coating and wearing resistance of Cr-C coating were studied in this paper. The surface morphology and phase structure of the coatings were analyzed by means of scanning electronic microscopy (SEM) and X-ray diffractometer (XRD), and its microhardness was determined by micrometer. The results showed that the maximum microhardness of black Cr-C nano-composite coating was 10.8 Gpa, the maximum vol.% in coating was 8.82, which formed under current density of 100A/dm2, temperature of 15°C, ultrasonic wave plus slow mechanical agitation. The optimum particle content in electrolyte was 10g/l. The black Cr-C composite coating has excellent wearing resistance.
CitationLi, X., Wu*, H., and Yang, Y., "Electrodeposited Black Cr-C Nano-Composite Coatings," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1426, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1426.
- KIM S K, YOO H J, Formation of bilayer Ni-SiC composite coatings by electordeposition [J]. Surface and Coatings Technology, 1998, 108-109: 564-569.
- HONG Q, YAO G, CHEN S, Development of iron matrix antifriction composite coatings[J]. Metal Finishing,1998, 96 (10): 3-8.
- Bin Jiang, binshi Xu and Shiyun Dong, etc. Study status of nano composite coating [J], Materials Protection, 2002, 6: 1-3.
- LEKKA M, KOULOUMBI N, GAJO M, et al. Corrosion and wear resistant electrodeposited composite coatings [J]. Electrochemica Acta, 2005, 50: 4551-4556.
- HOU K H, GER M D, WANG L M, et al. The wear behaviour of electro-codeposited Ni-SiC composites [J]. Wear, 2002, 253: 994.
- GARCIA I, FRANSAER J, CELIS J P. Electrodeposition and sliding wear resistance of nickel composite coatings containing micron and submicron SiC particles [J]. Surface and Coatings Technology, 2001, 148: 171-178.
- WANG S C, WEI W C. Kinetics of electroplating process of nano-sized ceramic particle/Ni composite [J]. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2003, 78: 574-580.
- SZCZYGIEL B, KOLODZIEJ M. Composite Ni-Al2O3 coatings and their corrosion resistance [J]. Electrochimica. Acta, 2005, 50: 4188-4195.
- SHRESTHA N K, SAKURADA K, MASUKO M, et al. Composite coatings of nickel and ceramic particles prepared in two steps[J]. Surface and Coatings Technology, 2001, 140: 175-181.
- GUO H T, ZHANG S Y. Composite Coatings [M]. Tian jing: Tian jing University Press, 1991.
- ZHOU S M. Principle and Research of Metal Electroplating [M]. Shanghai: Shanghai Science and Technology Press, 1994.
- KWON S C, KIM M, PARK S U, et al. Characterization of intermediate Cr-C layer fabricated by electrodeposition in hexavalent and trivalent chromium baths [J]. Surface and Coatings Technology, 2004, 183: 151-156.
- KUO S L, CHEN Y C, GER M D, et al. Nano-particles dispersion effect on Ni/Al2O3 composite coatings [J]. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2004, 86: 5-10.
- JIANG B, XU B S, DONG S Y, et al. Study status of nano composite coating [J]. Materials Protection, 2002, 6: 1-3.