This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Study on the Application of Järvi Mechanism to a Four Stroke Engine for Motorcycle Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper the feasibility of the application of a system conceived by Järvi to a 125 cm3, four strokes motorcycle engine built by Piaggio Company is investigated. This study was carried out using a one-dimensional model built with the well known CFD 1D code Wave and validated in a previous work. An analytical study was performed on the kinematic scheme of the mechanism in order to establish the relationship between control ramp and valve lift. The control ramp shape was then optimized accordingly with the results of the fluid dynamic analysis performed through the above mentioned Wave model.
CitationAntonelli, M., Martorano, L., Gabiccini, M., Caleo, A. et al., "A Numerical Study on the Application of Järvi Mechanism to a Four Stroke Engine for Motorcycle Application," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1346, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1346.
- HEYWOOD, J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- STONE R. Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines SAE Editions 1999
- TAYLOR, C. F. The internal-combustion engine in theory and practice 1 2 MIT Press 1960
- ROE, G. E. Variable valve-timing unit suitable for internal combustion engines Proceedings of IMechE 186 23 72 SAE 1972
- HANNIBAL, W. BERTSCH, A. VAST: a new variable valve timing system for vehicle engines SAE Transactions 980769 SAE 1998
- STONE, C. R. LEONARD, H. J. ELLIOTT, C. CHARLTON, S. J. JOHNSTON, D. N. Design and performance of a variable timing system on a highly turbocharged diesel engine - experimental and predicted results Proceedings of IMechE part A, Journal of Power and Energy 209
- HOSAKA, T. HAMAZAKI, M. Development of the variable valve timing and lift (VTEC) engine for the Honda NSX SAE Transactions 910008 SAE 1991
- KREUTER, P. HEUSER, P. REINICKE-MURMANN, J. The Meta VVH system - a continuously variable valve timing system SAE Transactions 980765 SAE 1998
- JÄRVI, I. Variable valve timing mechanism with control ramp SAE Transactions 980768 SAE 1998
- TITOLO, A. The variable valve timing system - application on a V8 engine SAE Transactions 910009 SAE 1991
- CHARLTON, S. J. SHAFIE-POUR, M. A continuously variable poppet valve actuator for internal combustion engines Proceedings of IMechE 200 SAE 1986
- BRADER, S. J. ROCHELEAU, D. N. Development of a piezoelectrically-controlled hydraulic actuator for a camless engine, part 1 Proceedings of IMechE part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 218 SAE 2004
- PARK, S. H. LEE, J. YOO, J. PARK, K. Effects of design and operating parameters on the static and dynamic performance of an electromagnetic valve actuator Proceedings of IMechE part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 217 SAE 2003
- LITVIN, F. L. Theory of gearing Technical Report 88-C-035 NASA Reference Publication 1989
- SCIAVICCO, L. SICILIANO, B. McGraw-Hill 2000
- FUNAIOLI, E. MAGGIORE, A. MENEGHETTI, U. 1987
- LITVIN, F.L. Theory of gearing NASA Reference Publication 1212 1989