This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Drive Cycles on PHEV Component Requirements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) offer the ability to significantly reduce petroleum consumptions. Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), working with the FreedomCAR and Fuels Partnership, participated in the definition of the battery requirements for PHEVs. Previous studies have demonstrated the impact of vehicle characteristics such as vehicle class, mass or electrical accessories. However, outstanding questions remain regarding the impact of drive cycles on the requirements. In this paper, we will first evaluate the consequences of sizing the electrical machine and the battery powers to follow the Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule (UDDS) to satisfy CARB requirements, including how many other driving cycles can be followed in Electric Vehicle (EV) mode. Then, we will study the impact of sizing the electrical components on other driving cycles.
CitationKwon, J., Kim, J., Fallas, E., Pagerit, S. et al., "Impact of Drive Cycles on PHEV Component Requirements," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1337, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1337.
- U.S. DOE Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle R&D Plan http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/program/phev_rd_plan_02-28-07.pdf
- Rousseau, A. Shidore, N. Carlson, R. Freyermuth, V. “Research on PHEV Battery Requirements and Evaluation of Early Prototypes AABC 2007 Long Beach May 16-18
- Argonne National Laboratory PSAT (Powertrain Systems Analysis Toolkit) http://www.transportation.anl.gov/
- Rousseau, A. Sharer, P. Besnier, F. “Feasibility of Reusable Vehicle Modeling: Application to Hybrid Vehicles,” SAE paper 2004-01-1618 SAE World Congress Detroit March 2004
- Graham, B. “Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle, A Market Transformation Challenge: the DaimlerChrysler/EPRI Sprinter Van PHEV Program,” EVS21 April 2005
- Rousseau, A. Sharer, P. Pagerit, S. Duoba, M. “Integrating Data, Performing Quality Assurance, and Validating the Vehicle Model for the 2004 Prius Using PSAT,” SAE paper 2006-01-0667 SAE World Congress Detroit April 2006
- Sharer, P. Rousseau, A. Pagerit, S. Nelson, P. “Midsize and SUV Vehicle Simulation Results for Plug-in HEV Component Requirements” SAE paper 2007-01-0295 SAE World Congress Detroit April 2007
- Carlson, R. et al. “Testing and Analysis of Three Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” SAE paper 2007-01-0283 SAE World Congress Detroit April 2007
- Argonne National Laboratory, PSAT (Powertrain Systems Analysis Toolkit) http://www.transportation.anl.gov/