This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Cold Temperature Performance of the JCS-VL41M PHEV Battery using Battery HIL
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) have been identified as an effective technology to displace petroleum by drawing significant off- board energy from the electrical grid. A plug-in vehicle uses a large capacity battery to operate in an electric-only or a blended mode of operation over a large SOC window (60-80% of total operational SOC) for maximum petroleum displacement. Some advanced chemistry batteries have show that low ambient (battery) temperature has a significant impact on the performance of a PHEV battery. This paper quantifies the impact of low ambient (battery) temperature on a PHEV electric range using Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) methods. Combining ultra capacitors with batteries could provide a solution to overcome PHEV battery performance limitations at low temperatures.
CitationShidore, N. and Bohn, T., "Evaluation of Cold Temperature Performance of the JCS-VL41M PHEV Battery using Battery HIL," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1333, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1333.
- Anderman Menahem “Challenges and opportunities for Lithium-ion batteries in automotive applications” EVS-22 Yokohama, Japan Oct 23-28 2006
- Andrew Michael “Lithium-Ion: Enabling a Spectrum of Alternate Fuel Vehicles,” CARB ZEV Symposium September 27 2006
- Reed Michael Landi James Johnson Za Cordova Steven Abraham K.M. “Advanced Battery Solutions for Vehicle Applications” EVS - 23 Anaheim, CA December 2007
- Tan Taison et al “Development of Safe and High power Batteries for HEVs” EVS - 23 Anaheim, CA December 2007
- Carlson R. et al “On Road Evaluation of Advanced Hybrid Vehicles over a wide range of Ambient Temperatures” EVS-23- paper # 275 Anaheim, CA December 2007
- Argonne National Laboratory PSAT (Powertrain Systems Analysis Toolkit) http://www.transportation.anl.gov/
- Bohn T. “Plugin hybrid vehicles: Decoupling battery load transients with ultracapacitor storage” Advanced Capacitor World Summit San Diego, CA July 2007
- Enerdel Technologies wide temperature performance http://www.enerdel.com/