This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Constraints on Fuel Injection and EGR Strategies for Diesel PCCI-Type Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study has been carried out to explore what limits fuel injection and EGR strategies when trying to run a PCCI-type mode of combustion on an engine with current generation hardware. The engine is a turbocharged V6 DI diesel with (1600 bar) HPCR fuel injection equipment and a cooled external EGR system. The variables examined have been the split and timings of fuel injections and the level of EGR; the responses investigated have been ignition delay, heat release, combustion noise, engine-out emissions and brake specific fuel consumption. Although PCCI-type combustion strategies can be effective in reducing NOx and soot emissions, it proved difficult to achieve this without either a high noise or a fuel economy penalty.
CitationKeeler, B. and Shayler, P., "Constraints on Fuel Injection and EGR Strategies for Diesel PCCI-Type Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1327, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1327.
- Kook, S. Bae, C. Miles, P. C. Choi, D. Pickett, L. M. “The Influence of Charge Dilution and Injection Timing on Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion and Emissions” SAE Paper 2005-01-3837 2005
- Kamimoto, T. Bae M.-H. “High Combustion Temperature for the Reduction of Particulate in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 880423 1988
- Akihama, K. Takatori, Y. Inagaki, K. Sasaki, S. Dean, A. M. “Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature” SAE Paper 2001-01-0655 2001
- Eastwood, P. Hardalupas, Y. Morris, T. Taylor, A. M. K. P. Tufail, K. Winstanley, T. “The effect of multiple fuel-injections on emissions of NOx and smoke with partially-premixed diesel combustion in a common-rail diesel engine” IMechE Internal Combustion Engines: Performance, Fuel Economy and Emissions 2007
- Ishikawa, N. Ohkubo, Y. Kudou, K. “Study on the Effects of EGR Cooler Performance on Combustion Properties of the Pre-mixed Compression Ignition Combustion by Multi Cylinder DI Diesel Engine.” JSAE Paper 20077302 2007
- Christian, R. Knopf, F. Jaschek, A. Shindler, W. “A New Method of Measuring Filter Smoke Number with Increased Sensitivity.” MTZ 1993
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals.” McGraw-Hill Book Company 0-07-100499-8 1988
- Sohm, V. Kong, S-C. Foster, D. E. Morikawa, T. Iida, M. “A Computational Investigation into the Cool Flame Region in HCCI Combustion” SAE Paper 2004-01-0552 2004
- Jacobs, T.J. Bohac, S. V. Assanis, D. N. Szymkowicz, P. G. “Lean and Rich Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-0166 2005
- Shayler, P. J. Ng, H. K. “Simulation Studies of the Effect of Fuel Injection Pattern on NO and Soot Formation in Diesel Engines.” SAE Paper 2004-01-0116 2004
- Yun, H. Reitz, R. D. “Combustion optimization in the low-temperature diesel combustion regime” IMechE Int. Journal of Engine Research 6 2005
- Park, C. Kook S. Bae C. “Effects of Multiple Injections in a HSDI Diesel Engine Equipped With Common Rain Injection System” SAE Paper 2004-01-0127 2004
- Payri, F. Benajes, J. Pastor, J. V. Molina, S. “Influence of the Post-Injection Pattern on Performance, Soot and NOx Emissions in a HD Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 2002-01-0502 2002
- Chen, S. K. “Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Particulate Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Small Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 2000-01-3084 2000