This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development Common Problems of Reliability Application in the Automotive and Other Industries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a real life situation the product's reliability depends on many factors. Practical methodology of taking these factors into account has a common base. This paper analyzes the current situation of common problems in reliability application in different areas of industry such as automotive, aerospace, aircraft, off-highway, civil engineering, naval engineering, farm machinery, etc. The important common problems relate to the connection and interconnections of:
- reliability (durability, maintainability) with quality during a given time;
- reliability with simulation;
- reliability with safety;
- reliability with human factors;
- and others.
This paper also demonstrates how one can solve these problems and increase reliability through the use of interdisciplinary systems of systems approach which helps to take into account the above connections and interconnections.
CitationKlyatis, L. and Klyatis, E., "Development Common Problems of Reliability Application in the Automotive and Other Industries," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1216, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1216.
Reliability and Robust Design in Automotive Engineering, 2008
Number: SP-2170; Published: 2008-04-14
Number: SP-2170; Published: 2008-04-14
- International Ergonomics Association IEA 2003
- Klyatis Lev M. Klyatis Eugene L. Accelerated Quality and Reliability Solutions Elsevier Science and Technology Ltd Oxford, UK 2006
- Klyatis Lev M. Klyatis Eugene L. Successful Accelerated Testing Mir Collection New York 2002
- McGuidan Brendan Conjectore Corporation What is Human Factors Engineering?
- Standard ISO/IEC Guide 51 Safety aspects - Guidelines for their inclusion in standards Second 1999
- Safety of machinery - Principles of risk assessment First 1999
- Space project management Risk management
- Gabriel R.F. What Engineers and Managers Need to Know about Human Factors SAE International 2003
- Stephans R. A. System Safety for the 21 st century: The Updated and Revised Edition of System Safety Wiley New York 2004
- Space Product Assurance Hazard Analysis
- Human Resources Strategy and Technology Learning and Gaming Technology: The Advantage of Simulations http://systematichr.com/?p=635
- Maitainability Prediction January 12 1984
- Wong K.L. What is wrong with the existing reliability prediction methods? Quality and Reliability Engineering International 6 1990
- Auto recalls National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Medford Ronald Vehicle Safety at NHTSA Reliability, Maintainability, Supportability, and Logistics Division Annual Meeting. SAE G-11 Detroit, Michigan April 2005
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Information, USA SynLube Recall Notice www.synlube.com/serv05.htm
- Systems Engineering Wikipedia encyclopedia
- Systems Engineering Fundamentals DAU 2001
- Space project management Risk management European Cooperation for Space Standardization (ECSS)
- Space product assurance Safety European Cooperation for Space Standardization (ECSS)
- Space product assurance Hazard analysis European Cooperation for Space Standardization (ECSS)
- Dependability Management - Part 3-7: Application guide - Reliability stress screening of electronic hardware.
- ISO/IEC Guide 51. Safety aspects - Guidelines for their inclusion in standards
- Klyatis Lev M. Klyatis Eugene L. The Strategy to Improve Engineering Concepts of Automotive Reliability, Durability, and Maintainability Integrated with Quality Reliability and Robust Design in Automotive Engineering 2006 SAE International 2006 World Congress Detroit, Michigan April 3-6 2006 SAE Technical Paper Series # 2006-01-1337
- Pillay Anand Wang Jin Modified Failure Mode and Effect Analysis Using Approximate Reasoning Reliability Engineering and System Safety 79 1
- Stamatis D. N. Failure Mode Effect Analysis - FMEA From Theory to Execution ASQ Quality Press 1995
- Welborn Cliff Using FMEA To Assess Outsourcing Risk Quality Progress August 2007