This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Two-Variable Boundary-Interference Correction Applied to Automotive Aerodynamic Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents applications of the Two-Variable method for the correction of solid-wall boundary interference of both wind tunnel and CFD data for a simplified automobile model at zero yaw angle and to a flat-plate wing over a 90° angle range. The latter model has flowfields that vary from those of a streamlined body at 0° yaw to those of a bluff body at 90° yaw. The Two-Variable method utilizes measurements on the wind tunnel walls to estimate the interference velocity components induced by the solid boundaries. The correction of the forces and moments from these interference velocities are obtained by Hackett's force model. The paper compares this method to a simpler analytical method that is more practical to apply in closed-wall wind tunnels. It is shown that the effect of the wind tunnel walls or CFD domain boundaries can accurately removed by these techniques for model/domain area ratios of up to 0.15.
CitationCooper, K., Mokry, M., and Gleason, M., "The Two-Variable Boundary-Interference Correction Applied to Automotive Aerodynamic Data," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1204, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1204.
- Glauert H. Wind Tunnel Interference on Wings, Bodies and Airscrews. ARC R&M 1566 1933
- Garner H. C. Rogers E. W. E. Acum W. E. A. Maskell E. C. Subsonic Wind Tunnel Wall Corrections. AGARDograph 109 Paris, France Oct. 1966
- Wind Tunnel Wall Corrections.. AGARD, AGARDograph 336 Paris, France 1998 Ewald B.
- Closed-Test-Section Wind Tunnel Blockage Corrections for Road Vehicles SAE SP-1176 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA, USA Jan. 1996 Cooper K. R.
- Hackett J. E. Wilsden D. J. Lilley D. E. Estimation of Tunnel Blockage from Wall Pressure Signatures: A Review and Data Correlation NASA CR-152, 241 March 1979
- Ashill P.R. Weeks D.J. A Method for Determining Wall-Interference Corrections in Solid-Wall Tunnels from Measurements of Static Pressure at the Walls AGARDCP335 1.1 1.12 London 1986
- Mokry M. Image Reconstruction by the Two-Variable Method of Wind-Tunnel Wall Interference CEAS Symposium on Wind Tunnels and Wind Tunnel Testing Techniques Cambridge, UK 20.1 20.12 April 1997
- Cooper K.R. Mokry M. Further Development of the IAR Two-Variable Boundary Interference Correction Method for Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Data AIAA-2002-0884, 40th Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit Reno, NV Jan. 2002
- Gleason M. Detailed Analysis of the Bluff Body Blockage Phenomenon in Closed Wall Wind Tunnels Utilizing CFD SAE 2007-01-1046 , SAE World Congress Detroit April 2007
- Holst H. Verfahren zur Bestimmung von dreidimensionalen Windkanwandinterferenzen und Wandadaptionen mit Hilfe gemessener Wanddrucke bei kompressibler Unterschallstrȯ̇mung. DLR-FB 90-46 May 1990
- Ashill P.R. Hackett J.E. Mokry M. Steinle F. Boundary Measurements Methods, Wind Tunnel Wall Corrections Ewald B. AGARDograph 336, NATO, Neuilly-sur-Seine France Oct. 1998 4.1 4.61
- Ranzenbach R. Barlow J.B. Esmaili H. Practical Application of the Two-Variable Blockage Correction Method to Automobile Shapes SAE 2001-01-0632 , SAE World Congress Detroit March 2001
- Ranzenbach R. Esmaili H. Implementation of a Wall Pressure Measurement Based Blockage Correction Method 47th International Instrumentation Symposium Denver May 2001
- Hackett J.E. Cooper K.R. Extensions to Maskell's Theory for Blockage Effects on Bluff Bodies in a Closed Wind Tunnel Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aero. Soc. Aug. 2001 409 418.