This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of High-performance Diesel Engine Compliant with Euro-V
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Honda has newly developed a 2.2 L 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that has achieved high power and lower exhaust gas emissions. This engine is a second generation diesel engine, following the first diesel engine for vehicles at Honda, which was launched in 2004. This engine has realized large reductions in exhaust emissions, to allow compliance with EURO-V standards, and enhancements in output and NV performance. To enhance low exhaust emission performance, this engine adopted a 180 MPa common-rail system and optimized the shape of the combustion-chamber. Moreover, to enhance control accuracy under steady state and transient conditions, a Universal Exhaust Gas Oxygen (UEGO) sensor system was applied, and an electric-controlled EGR valve and electric swirl control valve newly developed. In order to enhance output, a newly developed highly efficient variable nozzle turbine (VNT) was adopted, and intake and exhaust system performance have been enhanced. The maximum power and maximum torque of this engine have been increased to 132 kW/380 Nm from 103 kW/340 Nm, compared to the previous model engine. NV performance is a vital concern for diesel passenger vehicles. The structural attenuation of the cylinder block has been improved by optimizing the cylinder block structure, and a new chain drive line layout and chain cover structure, which are able to reduce vibration and noise, have been developed. As a result, the NV performance of this engine exhibits extremely enhanced performance, compared to that of the first generation diesel engine.
CitationMatsui, R., Shimoyama, K., Nonaka, S., Chiba, I. et al., "Development of High-performance Diesel Engine Compliant with Euro-V," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1198, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1198.
- Abe T. Nagahiro K. Aoki T. Minami, H. Kikuchi M. Hosogai S. Development of New 2.2-liter Turbocharged Diesel Engine for the EURO-IV Standards SAE paper 2004-01-1316
- Abe T. Ngahiro K. Tsuji Y. Tsukimura K. Osaki H. Ozawa K. Development of a New Turbocharged Common Rail Diesel Engine Honda R&D Technical Review 16 1
- Kikuchi M. Okawara K. Miyake T. Goto S. Matsui K. Koide S. Development of New Turbocharged Common Rail Diesel Engine Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 59
- Kanda T. Kobayashi S. Matsui R. Sono H. Study on EuroIV Combustion Technologies for Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Paper, 2004-01-0113
- Kanda T. Kobayashi S. Matsui R. Sono H. Combustion Technologies for Euro IV-compliant Direct Injection Diesel Engine Honda R&D Technical Review 16 2
- Chiba I. Kaneko I. Matsui R. Ishihara Y. Matsukado R. Development of DPF System for the EURO-IV-compliant Diesel Engine Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, No. 103-05