This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Cylinder Pressure Measurement System Using Adaptive Calculation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the development of a system enabling real-time measurements of combustion pressure in an internal combustion engine, using a comparatively low-cost polycrystalline piezoelectric element. Tests conducted using a mass production vehicle showed that by using the measured cylinder pressure, the status of combustion could be measured across the entire range of driving conditions, enabling accurate detection of misfires and knocking. To date, despite their comparatively low cost, the use of piezoelectric elements in mass production vehicles has represented a challenge, because the temperature characteristics of the elements in the use environment, age degradation, and other factors may cause variations in output. This research therefore studied the variation in sensor output in terms of each causal factor. In addition, adaptive calculations were performed to enable the identification of corrective parameters to be used, to match the measured cylinder pressure to estimated reference pressures for vehicle operation, thus enabling stable cylinder pressures to be measured, even if temperature characteristics change or the output deteriorates.
CitationYamamoto, Y., Akazaki, S., Ohara, M., and Mizuno, T., "Development of Cylinder Pressure Measurement System Using Adaptive Calculation," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1009, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1009.
- Kondo, K. Niimi, A. Nakamura, T. Indiscope-A New Combustion Pressure Indicator with Washer Transducers SAE Paper, 750883 1975
- Sawamoto, K. Kawamura, Y. Kita, T. Individual Cylinder Knock Control by Detecting Cylinder Pressure SAE Paper, 871911 1987
- Kusakabe, H. Okauchi, T. Takirawa, M A Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Internal Combustion Engine SAE Paper, 920701 1992
- Thomas, E,A. Shen, L. Richard, W,L Investigation of an Inexpensive Piezoelectric Pressure Sensor for Internal Combustion Engine Spark Timing Control SAE Paper, 2006-01-0183
- Wlodrczyk, M,T. High Accuracy Glow Plug-integrated Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Closed Loop Engine Control SAE Paper, 2006-01-0184
- Hasegawa, M. Shimasaki, Y. Yamaguchi, S. Koba yashi, M. Sakamoto, H. Kitayama, N. Kanda, T. Study on ignition Timing Control for Diesel Engines Using In-Cylinder Pressure Sensor SAE Paper, 2006-01-0180
- Shimasaki, Y. Kobayashi, M. Sakamoto, H. Ueno, M. Hasegawa, M. Yamaguchi, S. Suzuki, T. Study on Engine Management System Using In-cylinder Pressure Sensor Integrated with Spark Plug SAE Paper, 2004-01-0519