This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combi-sensor for Oil Level and Oil Quality Management
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For modern oil management systems in vehicles we developed an innovative combi-sensor. The sensor component is capable of measuring 6 independent oil parameters (viscosity, density, permittivity, conductance, level, temperature) continously during normal engine operation. It comprises an ultrasonic transducer for the oil level detection as well as a Tuning Fork mechanical resonator for the oil condition measurement. Both elements have been realized as small multi-chip modules, which are combined within a mechanical flange. All data is transmitted to an external ECU by a 1-wire digital interface protocol.
In addition to the measurement and signal preconditioning software that is already implemented on the system, an AUTOSAR-conform software module will be provided for the customer. This software evaluates the incoming signals from the sensor and calculates the current oil quality, considering additional information from the engine. The intelligent Oil Condition Algorithm (OCA) detects contaminants and extreme oil conditions at an early stage. In this way oil change intervals can be adapted to the specific car and the individual driving behavior in a more precise way than is possible with existing oil condition monitoring concepts and algorithms.
Since the oil level can be measured even when the engine is stopped, the sensor ensures an overfill detection comparable to a regular dipstick, which is then redundant.
CitationDobrinski, H., Buhrdorf, A., Lindemann, M., and Lüdtke, O., "Combi-sensor for Oil Level and Oil Quality Management," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0906, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0906.
- Matsiev, L. F. Bennett, J. W. McFarland, E. W. Application of Low Frequency Mechanical Resonators to Liquid Property Measurements 1998 IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium 459 462
- Matsiev, L. F. Application of Flexural Mechanical Resonators to High Throughput Liquid Characterization Proceedings of 2000 IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium 427 434
- Van Dommelen, I. Plastic Packaging for Various Sensor Applications in the Automotive Industry AMAA 2002 Yearbook 289 296
- Buhrdorf, A. Dobrinski, H. Lüdtke, O. Bennett, J.W. Matsiev, L.F. Uhrich, M. Kolosov, O. Multiparametric Oil Condition Sensor based on the Tuning Fork Technology for Automotive Applications AMAA 2005 Yearbook 289 298
- Dobrinski, H. Buhrdorf, A. Lüdtke, O. Knipper, U. Multiparameter Oil Condition Sensor based on the Tuning Fork Principle SAE 2007 World Congress & Exhibition April 2007 Detroit, MI, USA 2007-01-0392
- Bennett, J. W. Matsiev, L. F. Uhrich, M. Kolosov, O. Bryning, Z. New Solid State Oil Condition Sensor for Real Time Engine Oil Condition Monitoring SAE 2006 World Congress & Exhibition April 2006 Detroit, MI, USA 2006-01-1324
- Jakoby, B. Vellekoop, M. J. Viscosity sensing using a Love-wave device Sensors and Actuators A68 1998 275 281