This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drum Brake Out of Roundness Reduction to Improve Brake Pulsation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The drum brake pulsation is an issue that may cause a major customer complaint. One of the root causes of the drum pulsation is the deformation of the drum to an out of roundness (OOR) shape during the wheel-drum-axle assembly process under the presence of the uneven wheel flatness. This paper summarizes the newly developed OOR simulation method using ABAQUS and the counter-measures to reduce the OOR, and subsequently pulsation, by identifying the drum design parameter effects on OOR.
|Journal Article||“Sticky” Lining – the Phenomena, Mechanism and Prevention|
|Technical Paper||Excessive Brake Drum Wear (EBDW) and Its Prevention|
|Journal Article||Extended Steady State Lap Time Simulation for Analyzing Transient Vehicle Behavior|
CitationIm, K., Skoog, D., and Yarger, D., "Drum Brake Out of Roundness Reduction to Improve Brake Pulsation," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0825, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0825.
- Ahmed I. “Contact Behavior of Vehicle Drum Brake by Using Finite Element Analysis,” SAE 2007-01-2264
- Day A. J. “Drum Brake Interface Pressure Distribution” SAE 914790
- Simulia “ABAQUS User's Manual, V.6.5” 2005
- Ionnadis P. “Drum Brake Contact Analysis and its Influence on Squeal Noise Prediction” SAE 2003-01-3348
- Limpert R. “Brake Design &Safety V.2” SAE International Warrendale, PA 1999