This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a New Metal Substrate for Lean NOx Trap
- Hiroki Hosoe - Honda R&D Co., Ltd. ,
- Masahiro Sakanushi - Honda R&D Co., Ltd. ,
- Kimihiro Tokushima - Honda R&D Co., Ltd. ,
- Tadao Nishiyama - Honda R&D Co., Ltd. ,
- Masayuki Kasuya - Nippon Steel Materials Co., Ltd. ,
- Shogo Konya - Nippon Steel Corporation ,
- Masato Kaneeda - Hitachi, Ltd. ,
- Hidehiro Iizuka - Hitachi, Ltd.
ISSN: 1946-3952, e-ISSN: 1946-3960
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Hosoe, H., Sakanushi, M., Tokushima, K., Nishiyama, T. et al., "Development of a New Metal Substrate for Lean NOx Trap," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):318-325, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0806.
This paper presents a new substrate for Lean NOx Traps (LNT) which enables high NOx conversion efficiency, even after long-term aging, when using alkali metals as the NOx adsorber.
When a conventional metal honeycomb is used as the LNT substrate, the chromium in the metal substrate migrates into the washcoat and reacts with the alkali metals after thermal aging. In order to help prevent this migration, we have developed a new substrate where a fine -alumina barrier is precipitated to the surface of the metal substrate. The new substrate is highly capable of preventing migration of chromium into the washcoat and greatly enhances the NOx conversion.
The durability of the new substrate and emission test using a test vehicle are also examined.