This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wind Tunnel Study on the “Wake Bubble” of Model Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Heavy traffic volume makes tailgating a common picture on the road today. Wake interference, particularly in the scenario when a relatively small sedan drives into the wake of a large truck, may raise some serious highway safety concerns. In this paper, the characteristics of the separation bubble of model trucks with various degrees of details are studied. The objective is to find out the impact of truck model details on the characteristics of the wake bubble. Our wind tunnel results revealed that the degree of model detail has a significant effect on the wake bubble; the bubble length increases with model details.
CitationYang, D., Cheng*, S., and Ting, D., "Wind Tunnel Study on the “Wake Bubble” of Model Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0739, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0739.
- Ahmed S. R. Ramm G. Faltin G. “Some salient features of the time-averaged ground vehicle wake” SAE paper 840300 1984
- Allan J. W. “Aerodynamic drag and pressure measurements on a simplified tractor-trailer model” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 9 125 136 1981
- Azim A. F. “An experimental study of the aerodynamic interference between road vehicles” SAE paper 940422 1994
- Barlow J. B. Rae W. H. Jr. Pope Alan “Low-speed wind tunnel testing” Third Wiley Interscience 1999
- Duell E. G. George A. R. “Measurements in the unsteady near wake of ground vehicle bodies” SAE paper 930298 1993
- Duell E. G. George A. R. “Experimental study of a ground vehicle body unsteady near wake” SAE paper 990812 1999
- Hammache M. Michaelian M. Browand F. “Aerodynamic Forces on Truck Models, Including Two Trucks in Tandem” Research Report UCB.ITS.PRR.2001.27 2001
- Hucho W. H. “Aerodynamics of road vehicle: From fluid mechanics to vehicle engineering” Fourth SAE International 1998
- Martinuzzi R. J. Havel B. “Vortex shedding from two surface-mounted cubes in tandem” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 25 364 372 2004
- McCallen R. “Working group meeting on heavy vehicle aerodynamic drag” UCRL-ID-133547 1999
- Sinisa K. “Large-eddy simulations for computing the flow around vehicles” Doktorsavhandlingar vid Chalmers Tekniska Hogskola 1 55 2002
- Sitlani M. Aung K. “Numerical simulations on the aerodynamics drag of a tractor with a tandem-trailer” 2006 ASME joint U.S. - European Fluids Engineering Summer Meeting, FEDSM 2006