This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
1-D Modeling and Room Temperature Experimental Measurements of the Exhaust System Backpressure: Limits and Advantages in the Prediction of Backpressure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is well known that backpressure is one of the important parameters to be minimised during the exhaust system development. Unfortunately, during the first phases of an engineering process of a new engine, engine prototypes are not available yet. Due to this the exhaust system backpressure is generally evaluated using simulation software, and/or measuring the backpressure by a flow rig test at room temperature.
Goal of this paper is to compare exhaust backpressure results obtained respectively: i) at the room temperature flow rig; ii) at the engine dyno bench; iii) by simulation with one of the most common 1D fluidodynamics simulation tool (Gt-Power). A correlation of the three different techniques is presented.
CitationCereda, S., BossÙ, R., Gambarotto, M., and Pazé, C., "1-D Modeling and Room Temperature Experimental Measurements of the Exhaust System Backpressure: Limits and Advantages in the Prediction of Backpressure," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0676, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0676.
- Citrini, D. Noseda, G. 1987 “Idraulica” Casa Editrice Ambrosiana - Milano
- Heywood, J.B. 1988 “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” McGraw Hill
- Gamma Technologies “Gt-Power 6.0 User's Manual and Tutorial”
- Abu-Khiran, E. Douglas, R. McCullough, G. 2003 “Pressure Loss in Catalytic Converters” SAE Paper 2003-32-0061
- Ekström, F. Andersson, B. 2002 “Pressure Drop of Monolithic Catalytic Converters - Experiments and Modeling” SAE Paper 2002-01-1010
- Kim, J.Y. Corsetti, M.L. Biundo, L. Dobson, D.A. Beason, R.E. 2003 “Modeling and Measuring Exhaust Backpressure Resulting from Flow Restriction Through an Aftertreatment System” SAE Paper 2003-01-0939
- Massey, S. Williamson, P.S. Chuter, R.J. 2002 “Modeling Exhaust Systems Using One-Dimensional Methods” SAE Paper 2002-01-0005