This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamics of High-Lift Wings with Ground Effect for Racecars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamics of a finite-span rectangular wing is investigated using a numerical method. A high-lift single element airfoil section is used. The study focuses on the effect of the ground clearance (the vertical distance between the leading edge of the wing and the ground). The study includes the effect on the overall characteristics of the flow around the wing and the generated aerodynamic forces (down force and drag). Two wings are used in the study with and without end plates. The CFD code “STAR CCM+” is used in the study. The study showed that there is a range of ground clearance where it has a strong effect on the wing behavior. That effective range was the same for wings with and without end plates. At a small ground clearance, the down force can be easily doubled by small change in the clearance. However, the use of a high lift airfoil section increases the interaction with the ground boundary layer and may cause a decrease in the generated down force.
|Journal Article||Racecar Front Wing Aerodynamics|
|Technical Paper||On the Aerodynamics of the Racing Cars|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Rotating Wheels on Vehicle Aerodynamics - Numerical and Experimental Investigations|
CitationMokhtar, W., "Aerodynamics of High-Lift Wings with Ground Effect for Racecars," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0656, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0656.
- Katz, J and Dykstra, L. “Application of Computational Methods to the Aerodynamic Development of a Prototype Race-Car”, Presented at SAE 1st Motor Sport Eng. Conf., Dec.5-8, Detroit, P-287, pp. 161-69. SAE Pap. 942498,1994
- Katz, J “Aerodynamics of Race Cars”, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, v 38, pp 27-63, 2006
- Ranzenbach, R., and Barlow, J., “Two-Dimensional Airfoil in Ground Effect - An Experimental and Computational Study”, SAE paper no. 942509, Motorsports Engineering Conference proceedings, Vol. 1, pp. 241-249, 1994.
- Ranzenbach, R., and Barlow, J., “Cambered Airfoil in Ground Effect-Wind Tunnel and Road Conditions”, AIAA no. 95-1909, AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, 13th, San Diago, CA June 19-22, 1995.
- Jasinski, W and Selig, M, “Experimental Study of Open-Wheel Race-Car Front Wings”, SAE paper no. 983042, SAE Trans, J. Passenger Cars, 107, Sec 9, 1999.
- Ranzenbach, R., Barlow, J., and Diaz, R. “Multi-element airfoil in ground effect - An Experimental and Computational Study”, AIAA no. 1997-2238, AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, 15th, Atlanta GA, June, 1997.
- Zerihan J and Zhang X.. “Aerodynamics of a single element wing in ground effect”, J. Aircraft v.37,no. 6, pp1058-1064, 2000.
- Coulliette, C and Plotkin A “Aerofoil ground effect revisited”, Aeronaut. J., pp 65-74, 1996.
- Katz, J. “Race car aerodynamics, designing for speed”, Robert Bentley Inc. Automotive publishers, 1995
- Katz, J., “Aerodynamic Model for Wing-Generated Down Force on Open-Wheel-Racing-Car Configurations”, SAE paper no. 860218, SAE Trans, Vol. 95, pp.129-137, 1986.
- Zhang, X and Zerihan, J, “Aerodynamics of a Double-Element Wing in Ground Effect”, AIAA J., v 41, no. 6, pp. 1007-1016, 2003.
- Wiedemann, J. “Some basic investigations into the principles of ground simulation techniques in automotive wind tunnels” SAE 890369, 1989.
- Katz, J and Largman, R, “Experimental Study of the Aerodynamic Interaction Between an Enclosed-Wheel Racing-Car and its Rear Wing”, ASME J. Fluids Engineering, v.111, no. 2, pp154-159, 1989.
- Gogal, D. and Sakurai, H, “The Effects of End Plates on Downforce in Yaw”, Motorsports Engineering Conference and Exhibition, Dearborn, Michigan, SAE 2006-01-3647, 2006.
- Rumsey, C and Ying, S, “Prediction of high lift: review of present CFD capability”, Prog. Aero. Eng., 38, pp 149-180, 2002.
- Liebeck, R., “Design of subsonic airfoils for high lift”, J. Aircraft, vol. 15, no. 9, pp 547-561, 1978.
- Eppler, R., “Airfoil design and data”, Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg, 1990.
- Selig, M. and Guglielmo, J. “High-lift low Reynolds number airfoil design”, J. Aircraft, vol. 34, no. 1, pp 72-79 January-February 1997.
- Mokhtar, W., “A Numerical Parametric Study of High-Lift Low Reynolds Number Airfoils”, AIAA 43rd Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, AIAA paper no. 2005-1355, Jan 2005.
- Mokhtar, W., “A Numerical Study of High-Lift Single Element Airfoils With Ground Effect For Racing Cars”, SAE World Congress, SAE 2005-01-0607, SAE 2005 transaction Journal of Passenger Car: Mechanical Systems, pp: 682-688, February 2006.