This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion in a HSDI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The pursuit of new combustion concepts or modes is ongoing to meet future emissions regulations and to eliminate or at least to minimize the burden of aftertreatment systems. In this research, Premixed Low Temperature Diesel Combustion (PLTDC) was developed using a single-cylinder engine to achieve low NOx and soot emissions while maintaining fuel efficiency. Operating conditions considered were 1500 rpm, 3 bar and 6 bar IMEP. The effects of injection timing, injection pressure, swirl ratio, EGR rate, and multiple injection strategies on the combustion process have been investigated.
The results show that low NOx and soot emissions can be obtained at both operating conditions without sacrificing the fuel efficiency.
Low NOx and soot emissions are achieved through minimization of peak temperatures during the combustion process and homogenization of in-cylinder air-fuel mixture.
CitationYun, H., Sellnau, M., Milovanovic, N., and Zuelch, S., "Development of Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion in a HSDI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0639, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0639.
In-Cylinder Diesel Particulate and NOx Control, 2008
Number: SP-2168; Published: 2008-04-14
Number: SP-2168; Published: 2008-04-14
- Najt I P. M. Foster D. E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE 830264 1983
- Nakagome K. Shimazaki N. Niimura K. Kobayashi S. “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion Engine,” SAE 970898 1997
- Iwabuchi Y. Kawai K. Shoji T. Takeda Y. “Trial of New Concept Diesel Combustion System - Premixed Compression-Ignited Combustion -” SAE 1999-01-0185 1999
- Walter B. Gatellier B. “Development of the High Power NADI™ Concept Using Dual Mode Diesel Combustion to Achieve Zero NOx and Particulate Emissions” SAE 2002-01-1744 2002
- Ranini A. Potteau S. Gatellier B. “New Developments og the NADITM Convept to Improve Operating Range, Exhaust Emissions and Noise” THIESEL 2004 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamics Processes in Diesel Engines 2004
- Shimazaki N. Tsurushima T. Nishimura T. “Dual Mode Combustion Concept with Premixed Diesel Combustion by Direct Injection Near Top Dead Center” SAE 2003-01-0742 2003
- Kanda T. Hakozaki T. Uchimoto T. Hatano J. Kitayama N. Sono H. “PCCI Operation with Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel” SAE 2005-01-0378 2005
- Kanda T. Hakozaki T. Uchimoto T. Hatano J. Kitayama N. Sono N. “PCCI Operation with Fuel Injection Timing Set Close to TDC” SAE 2006-01-0920 2006
- Kimura S. Aoki O. Ogawa H. Muranaka S. Enomoto Y. “New Combustion Concept for Ultra-Clean and High Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines” SAE 1999-01-3681 1999
- Kimura S. Aoki O. Kitahara Y. Aiyoshizawa E. “Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards” SAE 2001-01-0200 2001
- Ladommatos N. Balian R. Horrocks R. Cooper L. “The Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Combustion and NOx Emissions in a High-Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE 960840 1996
- Ladommatos N. Balian R. Horrocks R. Cooper L. “The Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Soot Formation in a High-Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE 960841 1996
- Akihama K. Takatori Y. Inagaki K. Sasaki S. Dean A. M. Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature” SAE 2001-01-0655 2001
- Bianchi G. M. Cazzoli G. Pelloni P. Corcione F. E. “Numerical Study Towards Smoke-Less and Nox-Less HSDI Diesel Engine Combustion” SAE 2002-01-1115 2002
- Miles P. C. Choi D. Pickett L. M. Singh I. P. Henein N. Yun H. RempelEwert B. Reitz R. D. “Rate-limiting Processes in Late-Injection, Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Regimes,” 2004 THIESEL Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 2004
- Aceves S. M. Flowers D. L. “A Detailed Chemical Kinetic Analysis of Low Temperature Non-Sooting Diesel Combustion” SAE 2005-01-0923 2005
- Fang T. Coverdill R. E. Lee C. F. White R. A. “Combustion and Soot Visualization of Low Temperature Combustion within an HSDI Diesel Engine Using Multiple Injection Strategy” SAE 2006-01-0078 2006
- Heywood J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 0-07-028637-X
- Yun Hanho Sun Yong Reitz Rolf D. “An Experimental and Numerical Investigation on the Effect of Post Injection Strategies on Combustion and Emissions in the Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Regime,” ICES2005-1043, Proceedings of ICES2005, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2005 Spring Technical Conferences
- Yun Hanho Reitz Rolf D. “An Experimental Investigation on the Effect of Post-Injection Strategies on Combustion and Emissions in the Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Regime,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 2005
- Yun Hanho Reitz Rolf D. “Combustion Optimization in the Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Regime,” Int. Journal of Engine Research 2005