This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biofidelic Responses of the THOR-NT and Hybrid III Based on Component Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Component tests were conducted in order to evaluate the biofidelity of the THOR-NT on the head, neck, thorax, abdomen, face, femur, and lower extremity (THOR-Lx). The biofidelity of the dummy was evaluated by comparing its biofidelic responses with the PMHS response corridors. Likewise, component tests on each body part of the Hybrid III were conducted, and the biofidelity between THOR-NT (THOR-Lx) and Hybrid III were compared. The THOR tests were subject to test procedures established by GESAC, Inc./NHTSA; the THOR-Lx tests were subject to NHTSA/VRTC procedures.
Responses on the head and femur of both the THOR-NT and Hybrid III were within the PMHS response corridors. However, for other body parts - although each component of THOR-NT did not yield results that satisfied all the PMHS response corridors - the responses of THOR-NT were closer to the corridors than those of the Hybrid III.
CitationYaguchi, M., Ono, K., and Masuda, M., "Biofidelic Responses of the THOR-NT and Hybrid III Based on Component Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0520, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0520.
- Foster J.K. Kortge J.O. Wolanin M.J. “Hybrid III- A Biomechanically-Based Crash Test Dummy,” Proceedings of the 21st STAPP Car Crash Conference 1977
- Backaitis S. Haffner M. “Development of the NHTSA Advanced Dummy for the Occupant Protection Standard Upgrade,” 7th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 1979
- Schneider L.W. Ricci L.L. Salloum M.J. Beebe M.S. King A.I. Rouhana S.W. Neathery R.F. “Design and Development of an Advanced ATD Thorax System for Frontal Crash Environments, Volume 1: Primary Concept Development,” U.S. Department of Transportation June 1992
- Rangarajan N. White R. Shams T. Beach D. Fullerton J. Haffner M.P. Eppinger R.E. Pritz H. Rhule D. Dalmotas D. Fournier E. “Design and Performance of the THOR Advanced Frontal Crash Test Dummy Thorax and Abdomen Assemblies,” Proceedings of the 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 1998
- Haffner M. Eppinger R. Rangarajan N. Shams T. Artis M. Beach D. “Foundations and Elements of the NHTSA THOR Alpha ATD Design,” Proceedings of the 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2001
- Shams T. Rangarajan N. McDonald J. Wang Y. Platten G. Spade C. Pope P. Haffner M. “Development of THOR-NT: Enhancement of THOR Alpha-the NHTSA Advanced Frontal Dummy,” Proceedings of the 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2005
- ADRIA Transport RTD Programme European Commission 2000
- Onda K. Matsuoka F. Ono K. Kubota M. Martin P. Zhau Y. “Differences in the Dynamic Responses of the THOR-NT and THOR-FT dummies,” SAE Paper No. 2006-01-0676 Society of Automotive Engineers 2006
- GESAC, Inc. “Biomechanical Response Requirements of the THOR NHTSA Advanced Frontal Dummy, (Revision 2005.1),” Trauma Assessment Device Development Program 2005
- GESAC, Inc. “THOR Certification Manual, (Revision 2005.2),” Trauma Assessment Device Development Program 2005
- NHTSA/VRTC “Certification Procedure for the THOR-Lx/Hybrid III Retrofit Version 3.2,” 2004
- Martinez L. Ferichola G. Guerra L.J. Ratingen M.V. Hynd D. “Biofidelity and Repeatability Evaluation of the THOR Dummy Thorax, Abdomen and Femur, Through a Set of Tests,” Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference 2003
- Trosseille X. Le-Coz J. Potier P. Lassau J. “Abdominal Response to High-Speed Seatbelt Loading,” Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 71 79 2002
- Watters V.L. Jenkins J.D. Below J.D. Depinet P.J. “Hybrid III 5th Female Neck Test Rotation Measurement,” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0303 Society of Automotive Engineers 2005
- Below J.D. Depinet P.J Jenkins J.D. Watters V.L. “Determining the Precision of the Hybrid Ill Small Female Neck Calibration Laboratory Test Procedure Using ASTM E 691,” SAE Paper No. 2007-01-1172 Society of Automotive Engineers 2007
- Kroell C.K. Schneider D.C. Nahum A.M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax,” Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 710851 1971
- Kroell C.K. Schneider D.C. Nahum A.M. “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax II,” Proceedings of the 18th Stapp Car Conference, SAE 741187 1974