This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Economy and Performance Comparison of Alternative Mechanical Hybrid Powertrain Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid vehicles provide the most viable medium term solution to meet the demands of the automotive marketplace. Currently electric hybrids dominate the marketplace but mechanical hybrid systems, including flywheel, pneumatic and hydraulic systems all have the potential to compete with electrical systems.
This paper provides an overview of a mechanical hybrid project created by the University of Warwick. The aim of the project is to assess alternative hybrid powertrains, in particular pneumatic, hydraulic and flywheel systems.
This paper provides a description of a simulation tool to investigate and evaluate the mechanical alternatives to electric hybrid vehicles and the results from two fuel economy case studies using the simulation tool: 2.6 ton SUV and 17 ton bus applications. The paper also outlines a feasibility study of the mechanical hybrid options, including a cost benefit analysis of the different systems. Finally the paper provides an overview of the Warwick FIVT (flywheel and infinitely variable transmission) transmission, an innovative hybrid transmission concept, and details the future work for the project.
CitationBarr, A. and Veshagh, A., "Fuel Economy and Performance Comparison of Alternative Mechanical Hybrid Powertrain Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0083, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0083.
- Gorham-Intertech Consulting 1999 Hybrid electric and fuel cell propulsion systems- Now and in the Future Gorham-Intertech Consulting
- Macgowan, C. 2004 Foresight Vehicle Technology Roadmap Foresight Vehicle London
- Wang Huiyi Lu Qiang Wu Peirong 1996 Research on Hydraulic Energy Storage Transmission System of City Bus Harbin Institute of Technology and Jilin University of Technology
- Olszewski, M. Eisenhaure, D.B. Beachley, N. Kirk, J.A. 1988 On the fly or under pressure, Mechanical Engineering 50 58 June 1988
- Private Communication with Applied Engine Technology Ltd, Data Sheet
- Nelson, D.J. 1998 Validation of Advisor as a Simulation Tool for a Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle SAE Paper 981133 7 9 6
- Dennis “ENVRO 300 Data Sheet” www.dennisbus.com 2005
- ZF “HP 502C Data Sheet” www.zf.com 2005
- Applied Engine Technology Ltd. Internal Data
- Applied Engine Technology Ltd. “Vehicle and Engine Data,” Internal Data
- 2006 www.ford.com
- 2006 www.lexus.com
- 2006 www.epa.gov
- Private Communication with Jaguar, Data Sheet
- Smith, M 2005 Kestrel Presentation, Kestrel Powertrains
- Flybrid Sept. 2007 Flybrid Website www.flybridsystems.co.uk
- Torotrak Sept. 2007 Torotrak Website www.torotrak.com
- Kestrel May 2007 Kestrel Website www.kestrelproject.co.uk
- Kestrel May 2007 Kestrel Website www.kestrelpowertrains.co.uk