This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
R&D of a New G.D.I. 2-Stroke Engine with a Unidirectional Scavenging Flow and a Force-Feed Lubrication System
Published October 30, 2007 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Preliminary bench tests have been carried out on an original-design 2-stroke single-cylinder prototype engine, which is equipped with an electronically controlled gasoline direct injection apparatus. The main design and operating features of the engine concern: a unidirectional airflow during the scavenging process (from the inlet ports near the BDC to overhead cam-actuated valves), an external air pump (a Roots volumetric type driven by an electric motor) and a force-feed lubrication system, like those usually exploited in mass-produced 4-stroke engines. Experimental bench tests were carried out under low load, intermediate rotational speed operating conditions. The performances were compared to those obtained from a commercial crankcase-scavenged 2-stroke engine using an indirect injection fuel feeding system. Encouraging results were obtained as far as fuel consumption and pollutant emissions are concerned. Other improvements are expected thanks to scheduled modifications regarding a new piston design along with a new arrangement of both the spark-plugs and the injector position.
|Technical Paper||Development of an Electro-Hydraulic Camless VVA System|
|Technical Paper||P.C.V. Valves|
|Technical Paper||A Continuous Variable Valve Event and Lift Control Device (VEL) for Automotive Engines|
CitationNUCCIO, P. and MARZANO, M., "R&D of a New G.D.I. 2-Stroke Engine with a Unidirectional Scavenging Flow and a Force-Feed Lubrication System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0025, 2007.
- Camoriano M. Antonelli E. Nuccio P. Dongiovanni C. 1993-94
- Bersia M. Antonelli E. Nuccio P. Dongiovanni C. 1995-96
- Seresin A. Antonelli E. Nuccio P. Dongiovanni C. 1998-99
- Allari S. Antonelli E. Nuccio P. Dongiovanni C. 1997-98
- Germano G. Antonelli E. Nuccio P. Dongiovanni C. 1997-98
- De Nicola L. Antonelli E. Nuccio P. Dongiovanni C. 1998-99
- Medina F. Nuccio P. 1998-99
- Crescenzi M. Nuccio P. Marzano M.R. 2001-02
- Amadio V. Nuccio P. Marzano M.R. 2002-03
- Antonelli E. Nuccio P. Dongiovanni C. Marzano M.R. “A New GDI 2-Stroke Engine to Meet Future Emission Limits: The Design and Prototype Architecture” SAE Paper n. 2004-32-0041/20044328 SETC Sept. 2004 Graz.
- Froio P. Nuccio P. Marzano M.R. 2004-05
- Badami M. Marzano M.R. Millo F. Nuccio P. “Comparison Between Direct and Indirect Fuel Injection in an S.I. Two-Stroke Engine” SAE Paper N. 1999-01-3311
- Fiora F. Nuccio P. Marzano M.R. 2006
- Passuello D. Nuccio P. Marzano M.R. 2006