This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving the Performance of a Small Spark-Ignition Engine by Using Oxygen-Enriched Intake Air
Published October 30, 2007 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
In order to improve the performance of a small gasoline engine, a part of oxygen is added to the intake air when the engine is operated at wide open throttle. The combustion process can be enhanced by using an oxidant that contains a higher proportion of oxygen than that in normal air. This paper studies the combustion characteristics and engine performance of such engine. Engine testing is performed on a 50 cc four-stroke spark-ignition engine with the oxygen concentration of intake air ranging from 21% to 25% by volume. The engine torque is increased with increasing oxygen concentration. The HC and CO emissions are decreased with oxygen enrichment, but the NOx emission is increased.
CitationWu, Y. and Huang, K., "Improving the Performance of a Small Spark-Ignition Engine by Using Oxygen-Enriched Intake Air," SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0004, 2007.
- US EPA http://www.epa.gov/EPA-AIR/2000/April/Day-25/a7887.htm
- European Commission “Current and Future European Community Emission Requirements,” 2003
- Okanishi, N. Miyake, K. “Study on Crankcase-Supercharging,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 2002, No. 2002-01-0855
- Oguri, Y. Norimatsu, N. Taue, J. “Research on Adaptation of Pressure Wave Supercharger (PWS) to Gasoline Engine,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 2001, No. 2001-01-0368
- Baukal, C.E. Oxygen-Enhanced Combustion CRC Press 1998
- Poola, R.B. Ng, H.K. Sekar, R.R. “Utilizing Intake-Air Oxygen-Enrichment Technology to Reduce Cold-Phase Emissions,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1995, No. 952420
- Kajitani, S. Clasen, E. Campbell, S. Rhee K.T. “Partial-Load and Start-up Operations of Spark-Ignition Engine with Oxygen enriched Air,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1993, No. 932802
- Maxwell, T.T. Setty, V. Jones, J.C. Narayan, R. “The Effect of Oxygen Enriched Air on the Performance and Emissions of an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1993, No. 932804
- Kajitani, S. Sawa, N. McComiskey, T. Rhee, K.T. “A Spark Ignition Engine Operated by Oxygen Enriched Air,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1992, No. 922174
- Callaghan, K. Nemser, S. Johanson, W. “Oxygen Enriched Membranes for Reduced Cold Start Emission,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1999, No. 1999-10-1232
- Poola, R.B. Stork, K.C. Sekar, R. Callaghan, K. Nemser, S. “Variable Air Composition with Polymer Membrane - A New Low Emissions Tool,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1998, No. 980178
- Borman, G.L. Ragland, K.W. Combustion Engineering 1998 McGraw-Hill, Inc. 155 162 153 226
- Olikara, C. Borman, G.L. “A Computer Program for Calculating Properties of Equilibrium Combustion Products with Some Applications to I. C. Engines,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1975, No. 750468
- Pulkrabek, W.W. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine 2004 Pearson Prentice-Hall 279
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 1988 McGraw-Hill, Inc. 375
- Lanzafame, R. “Water injection effects in a single-cylinder CFR engine,” SAE Tech. Paper Ser. 1999, No. 1999-01-0568