This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Light Weight Pressure Plate for Automotive Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 17, 2007 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2007
The automakers are continuously fighting for ways to reduce vehicle weight, increase fuel efficiency, build brand image, and reduce cost. Customised engineering design, and materials are becoming more widespread on all fronts. Also, vehicle emission norms are getting stringent day by day and there is increasing pressure to reduce fuel consumption. One important method of achieving the fuel economy and improve vehicle performance is to reduce vehicle weight.
In view of the above Al -SiC composite was used for the manufacturing of Pressure Plate.
The pressure plate in clutch assemblies of vehicles are generally made of grey cast iron. Therefore an attempt has been made to replace the Cast Iron by tailor made MMCs (Metal Matrix Composites) to reduce the weight. MMC is an engineered mixture of SiC as a reinforcement in the matrix of Aluminium. A MMC with 20% weight fraction of SiC in LM-9 Aluminium melt was prepared and cast into pressure plate of one of light passenger vehicles.
This paper illustrates a comparative study of MMC pressure plate developed for passenger vehicle with the conventional cast iron pressure plate. The use of Al-SiC MMC leads to the reduction of weight of the pressure plate by about 35 percent. The effect of the decreased weight on moment of inertia and on the engine performance has been studied. The pressure plate was tested as per the SAE standards and the results have been discussed.
CitationSingh, S., Verma, P., and Malage, S., "Development of Light Weight Pressure Plate for Automotive Application," SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-064, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-26-064.
- Miracle Daniel B. Donaldson Steve L. “Introduction to Composites” ASM handbook, “Composites” 21 2001 1 13
- Clyne, T. W. Withers, P. J. “An Introduction to Metal Matrix Composite” Cambridge university press 1993
- Nutt Steven R. “Constituent Materials” ASM handbook, “Composites” 21 2001 19 184
- Broutman L. J Krock R. H. “Principles of Composite And Composite Reinforcement, in Modern Composite Materials” Addison- Wesley Publishing company USA 3 26
- Department of Defense Handbook “Composite Materials Handbook” 4 Metal Matrix Composite 17 June 2002
- Hunt, W. H. Herling, D. R. “Metal Matrix Composite” ASM International Feb 2004 39 42
- Tomas, B. “Manufacturing Processes” ASM handbook, “Composites” 21 2001
- Rohatgi, P. “Cast Metal Matrix Composite” ASM handbook, “Casting” 15 840 854
- Hashim, J. Looney L. Hashmi MSJ “Metal Matrix Composite Production By Stir Casting Method” Journal Material Processing Technology 1999