This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optical study of HCCI Combustion using NVO and an SI Stratified Charge
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The effects of using an SI stratified charge in combination with HCCI combustion on combustion phasing, rate of heat release and emissions were investigated in engine experiments to identify ways to extend the operational range of HCCI combustion to lower loads.
In the experiments an optical single-cylinder engine equipped with a piezo electric outward-opening injector and operated with negative valve overlap (NVO) and low lift, short duration, camshaft profiles, was used to initiate HCCI combustion by increasing the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and thus retaining sufficient thermal energy to reach auto-ignition temperatures.
Two series of experiments with full factorial designs were performed, to investigate how the tested parameters (amounts of fuel injected in pilot injections and main injections, stratification injection timing and spark-assistance) influenced the combustion.
In the optical study fourth harmonic light (266 nm) from a Nd:YAG laser was used to induce fluorescence (LIF), from 3-pentanone added as a fuel tracer, to analyze the concentration and distribution of fuel vapor within the cylinder. In addition third harmonic light (355 nm) was used to study the concentration and distribution of formaldehyde in the cylinder, and chemiluminescence signals from OH radicals were used to locate the flame front.
It was found that the injection and ignition timing of the SI stratified charge were the main parameters influencing the HCCI combustion phasing. The NOX emissions were found to be significantly affected by the use of a SI stratified charge, and its injection timing.
The results show that use of an SI stratified charge can extend the operational range of HCCI combustion to lower loads by advancing combustion phasing. In addition, use of NVO in combination with an SI stratified charge provides a useful, flexible means to control HCCI combustion.
CitationBerntsson, A. and Denbratt, I., "Optical study of HCCI Combustion using NVO and an SI Stratified Charge," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0012, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0012.
- Koopmans L. Strömberg E. Denbratt I. “ The Influence of PRF and Commercial Fuels with High Octane Number on the Auto-Ignition Timing of an Engine Operated in HCCI Combustion Mode with Negative Valve Overlap” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2004-01-1967
- Heywood J. B. “ Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” 1988 Singapore: McGraw-Hill Inc
- Hultquist A. Christensen M. Johansson B. Ricther M. Nygren J. Hult J. Aldén M. “ The HCCI Combustion Process in a Single Cycle -High-Speed Fuel Tracer LIF and Chemiluminescence Imaging” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2002-01-0424
- Lü X-C. Chen W. Huang Z. “ A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 1. The basic characteristics of HCCI combustion”, Fuel” 84 9 1074 1083 June 2005
- Hultquist A. Christensen M. Johansson B. Franke A. Aldén M. “ A Study of the Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process by Chemiluminescence Imaging” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 1999-01-3680
- Wagner U. Anca R. Velji A. Spicher U. “ An Experimental Study of Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) with Various Compression Ratios, Intake Air Temperatures and Fuels with Port and Direct Fuel Injection” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2003-01-2293
- Lü X-C. Chen W. Huang Z. “ A fundamental study on the control of the HCCI combustion and emissions by fuel design concept combined with controllable EGR. Part 2. Effect of operating conditions and EGR on HCCI combustion”, Fuel 84 9 1084 1092 June 2005
- Glassman I. “ Combustion” 1996 third United States of America: Academic Press Ltd.
- Olsson J. Tunestål P. Johansson B. “ Closed-loop control of an HCCI engine” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2001-01-1031
- Marriott C. D Kong S-C. Reitz R. B. “ Investigation of Hydrocarbon Emission from a Direct Injection-Gasoline Premixed Charge Compression Ignited Engine” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2002-01-0416
- Flowers D. Aceves S. M. Martinez-Frias J. Smith R. Au M. Girard J. Dibble R. “ Operation of a Four-Cylinder 1.9L Propane Fueled Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition Engine: Basic Operating Characteristics and Cylinder-to-Cylinder Effects” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2001-01-1895
- Fiveland S. B. Agama R. Christensen M. Johansson B. Hiltner J. Maus F. Assanis D. N. “ Experimental and Simulated Results Detailing the Sensitivity of Natural Gas HCCI Engines to Fuel Composition” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2001-01-3609
- Martinez-Frias J. Aceves S. M. Flowers D. Smith R. J. Dibble R. “ Thermal Charge Conditioning for Optimal HCCI Engine Operation” Journal of Energy Resources Technology 124 2002
- Milovanovic N. Blundell D. Pearson R. Turner J. Chen R. “ Enlarging the Operational Range of a Gasoline HCCI Engine By Controlling the Coolant Temperature” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2005-01-0157
- Haraldsson G. Tunestål P. Johansson B. Hyvönen J. “ HCCI Combustion Phasing in a Multi Cylinder Engine Using Variable Compression Ratio” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2002-01-2858
- Haraldsson Hyvönen J. Johansson B. “ Operating range in a Multi Cylinder HCCI engine using Variable Compression Ratio” JSAE Technical Paper Series, JSAE Paper 20030178
- Haraldsson G. Tunestål P., Johansson Johansson “ Transient Control of a Multi Cylinder HCCI Engine During a Drive Cycle” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2005-01-0153
- Christensen M. Hultqvist A. Johansson B. “ Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 1999-01-3679
- Strandh P. Bengtsson J. Johansson R. Tunestål P. Johansson B. “ Cycle-to-Cycle Control of a Dual-Fuel HCCI Engine” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2004-01-0941
- Koopmans L. Denbratt I. “ A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2001-01-3610
- Koopmans L. Backlund O. Denbratt I. “ Cycle to Cycle Variations: Their Influence on Cycle Resolved Gas Temperature and Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Camless Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2002-01-0110
- Koopmans L. Ström H. Lundgren S. Back-lund O. Denbratt I. “ Demonstrating a SI-HCCI-SI Mode Change on a Volvo 5-Cylinder Electronic Valve Control Engine” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2003-01-0753
- Koopmans L. Ogink R. Denbratt I. “ Direct Gasoline Injection in the Negative Valve Overlap of a Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” JSAE Technical Paper Series, JSAE Paper 20030195
- Richter M. Engström J. Franke A. Alde′n M. Hultquist A. Johansson B “ The Influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2000-01-2868
- Aroonrisopon T. Werner P. Waldman J. O. Sohm V. Foster D. E. Morikawa T Iida M. “ Expanding the HCCI Operation With the Charge Stratification” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2004-01-1756
- Sjöberg M. Dec J. E. “ Smoothing HCCI Heat-Release Rates Using Partial Fuel Stratification with Two-Stage Ignition Fuels” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2006-01-0629
- Berntsson W. A. Denbratt I. “ HCCI Combustion Using Charge Stratification for Combustion Control” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2007-01-0210
- Berntsson A. Denbratt I. “ Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion Using a Stratified Hydrogen Charge” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2005-24-039
- Berntsson A. Denbratt I. “ HCCI Combustion Using a Spark Ignited Stratified Charge” JSAE Technical Paper Series, JSAE Paper 20065424
- Skogsberg M. Dahlander P. Denbratt I. “ Spray shape and atomization quality of an outward-opening piezo gasoline DI injector” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2007-01-1409
- Box G. E. P. Hunter W. G. Hunter J. S. “ Statistics for experimenters” 1978 Canada John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Olofsson J. Seyfried H. Richter M. Aldén M. Vressner A. Hultqvist A. Johansson B. Lom-baert K. “ High-Speed LIF Imaging for Cycle-Resolved Formaldehyde Visualization in HCCI Combustion” SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2005-01-0641
- Gaydon A. G. “ The Spectroscopy of Flames” 1974” Great Britain: Chapman and Hall, Second edition
- Koopmans L. “ HCCI Combustion by Retaining Residuals” 2005 PhD Thesis Department of Applied Mechanics, Chalmers University, Sweden