This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition to the analysis of I.C.E. space and time resolved data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Flame images are collected and Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) coupled with interpolation is applied to reconstruct information in between consecutive measurements. The POD basis is determined from samples (“snapshots”) taken during experiments conducted on an optically accessible Spark Ignition Engine. Reconstructed luminosity fields are then compared with the available (but not used in the computations) experimental data. In a second application, dynamic in-cylinder pressure data collected together with images are compared to those of a “base” cycle and the differences are used to weight the “snapshots” collected over different cycles. By this means, pseudo-cycle-resolved image sequences can be obtained.
- Katarzyna BIZON - Istituto di Ricerche sulla Combustione CNR, Via Diocleziano 328, 80124 Naples, Italy
- Gaetano CONTINILLO - Dipartimento di Ingegneria, Università del Sannio, Piazza Roma, 82100 Benevento, Italy
- Simona S. MEROLA - Istituto Motori CNR, Via G. Marconi, 80125 Naples, Italy
- Bianca M. VAGLIECO - Istituto Motori CNR, Via G. Marconi, 80125 Naples, Italy
CitationBIZON, K., CONTINILLO, G., MEROLA, S., and VAGLIECO, B., "Application of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition to the analysis of I.C.E. space and time resolved data," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0007, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0007.
- Druault P. Guibert P. Alizon F. 2005 Use of proper orthogonal decomposition for time interpolation from PIV: Application to the cycle-to-cycle variation analysis of in-cylinder engine flows Experiments in Fluids 39 1009 1023
- Fogelman M. Lumley J. Rempfer D. Haworth D. 2004 Application of the proper orthogonal decomposition to datasets of internal combustion engine flows Journal of Turbulence 5 1 18
- Gunes H. Sirisup S. Karniadakis G.E. 2006 Gappy data: To Krig or not to Krig? Journal of Computational Physics 212 358 382
- Holmes P. Lumley J. L. Berkooz G. 1996 Turbulence, Coherent Structures, Dynamical Systems and Symmetry. Cambridge University Press 86
- Merola S. S. Vaglieco B.M. Bozza F. Gimelli A. 2005 Validation of a Fractal Combustion Model Through Flame Imaging SAE Paper 2005-01-1120 114 SAE TRANSACTIONS - Journal of Engines 973 987
- Zhao H Ladommatos N. 2001 Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics. Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc
- Sirovich L. 1987 Turbulence and the Dynamics of Coherent Structures Quarterly of Applied Mathematics, 45 561 590
- Roudnitzky S. Druault P. Guibert P. 2006 Proper orthogonal decomposition of in-cylinder engine flow into mean component, coherent structures and random Gaussian fluctuations Journal of Turbulences 7 1 19