This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flame Diagnostics in the Combustion Chamber of Boosted PFI SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 16, 2007 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The growing demands on fuel economy and always stricter limitations on pollutant emissions has increased the interest in the ignition phenomena to guarantee successful flame development for all the spark ignition (SI) engine operating conditions. The initial size and the growth of the flame have a strong influence on the further development of the combustion process. In particular, for the new FIAT generation of turbocharged SI engines, the first times of spark ignition combustion are not yet fully understood. This is mainly due to the missing knowledge concerning the detailed physical and chemical processes taking place during the all set of the flame propagation. These processes often occur simultaneously, making difficult the interpretation of measurements.
In the present paper, flame dynamic was followed by UV-visible emission imaging in an optical SI engine. The measurements provided detailed information on flame formation and propagation with respect to the level of turbulence in the combustion chamber.
The experiments were realized in an optically accessible single cylinder boosted PFI SI engine. The elongated piston of the engine was flat and included a transparent quartz window to allow optical measurements through a 45° mirror located in the bottom of the engine. Different boost pressures were considered. All tests were realized by commercial gasoline.
- S. S. Merola - Istituto Motori - CNR, Naples (Italy)
- B. M. Vaglieco - Istituto Motori - CNR, Naples (Italy)
- G. Formisano - Fiat Powertrain Technologies - ELASIS S.C.p.A. (Italy)
- G. Lucignano - Fiat Powertrain Technologies - ELASIS S.C.p.A. (Italy)
- G. Mastrangelo - Fiat Powertrain Technologies - ELASIS S.C.p.A. (Italy)
CitationMerola, S., Vaglieco, B., Formisano, G., Lucignano, G. et al., "Flame Diagnostics in the Combustion Chamber of Boosted PFI SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0003, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0003.
- HeywoodJ. B., - Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. - New York: McGraw-Hill 1988.
- LeducP., DubarB., RaniniA., MonnierG., Downsizing of Gasoline Engine: An Efficient Way to Reduce CO2 Emissions. OGST, Vol58, 2003, N° 1, pp. 115-127.
- Lin-ShuW., ShiyouY., - Turbo-Cool Turbocharging System for Spark Ignition Engines - Proc. of the I MECH E Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol 220, N.8, 1163-1175, (13) 2006.
- BiancoY., ChengW., HeywoodJ. - The Effects of Initial Flame Kernel conditions on Flame Development in SI Engines - SAE paper n. 912402 (1992)
- WitzeP., HallM., BennetM. - Cycle-resolved Measurements of Flame Kernel Growth and Motion Correlated with Combustion Duration SAE paper n. 900023 (1990)
- AncimerR., JaaskelainenH., WallaceJ. - Experiments into the Flame Kernel Development in High Swirl Production Spark Ignition Engines - SAE paper n. 1999-01-3544 (1999)
- ZhaoH, and LadommatosN., - Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics. - SAE Int., Inc. 2001.
- SchießlR., DreizlerA. and MaasU. - Comparison of different ways for image post-processing: detection of flame fronts. - SAE paper n. 1999-01-3651 (1999)
- BozzaF., GimelliA., MerolaS.S., VagliecoB.M., - Validation of a Fractal Combustion Model Through Flame Imaging SAE paper n. 2005-01-1120 (2005)
- HacohenJ., BelmontM.R., ThurleyR.W.F., ThomasJ.C., MorrisE.L., BuckinghamD.J. - Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Flame Development and Misfire Phenomena in a Spark-ignition Engine - SAE paper n. 920412. (1992).
- GoldM. R., ArcoumanisC., WhitelawJ. H., GaadeJ., WallaceS., - Mixture Preparation Strategies in an Optical Four-Valve Port-Injected Gasoline Engine - Int Journal of Engine Research, Vol 1, N.1, 41-56, 2000.
- MeyerR., and HeywoodJ.B., - Liquid Fuel Transport Mechanisms into the Cylinder of a Firing Port-Injected SI Engine During Start Up. - SAE Paper n. 970865 (1997).
- WitzeP. O, and GreenR. M., - LIF and Flame-Emission Imaging of Liquid Fuel Films and Pool Fires in an SI Engine During a Simulated Cold Start. - SAE Paper n. 970866 (1997).
- LuanP., and HeneinN. A., - Contribution of Cold and HotStart Transients in Engine-Out HC Emissions. - SAE Paper n. 982645 (1998).
- KoederitzK.R., and DrallmeierJ.A., - Film Atomization from Valve Surfaces During Cold Start. - SAE Paper n. 1999-01-0566 (1999).